Types of kicking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I found this article below
Improve Your Diving with These 8 Types of Kicks
They list 8 types of kicking:

1 Flutter Kick
2 Modified Flutter Kick
3 Bent-Knee Cave Diver Kick
4 Frog Kick
5 Reverse Kick
6 Sculling Kick (A.K.A. Helicopter Kick)
7 Dolphin Kick
8 Scissors Kick

This kind of classifications may vary
Which is yours? Would you say there are the 8 types of kicking described in the article, or maybe less, or more, or other types?

"bent knee cave diver kick" seems redundant to the modified flutter (even after reading the article). I disagree with the article when it says the scissor kick does not stir up silt..
I also would classify a modified frog (keeping the knees and higher motionless while doing a frog like kick from the ankles) as seperate from the regular frog kick. ymmv

Scissor kick is for swimming and dolphin kick is for monofins. Flutter kick is for kicking sand in people's faces and "flippers" is cringworthy. :D

Scissor kick is for swimming and dolphin kick is for monofins. Flutter kick is for kicking sand in people's faces and "flippers" is cringworthy. :D
saying "flippers" or "goggles" when talking about scuba would get you a naked lap around the lodge when i studied in the bahamas

I disagree with the article when it says the scissor kick does not stir up silt..

Done in the wrong place, any kick can stir up silt. It's a matter of force, proximity, and the silt itself.

Bob

9. Modified bent knee dolphin kick.
10. Bicycle kick: done right it will turn you head up.
11. Reverse bicycle kick to turn yourself head down.

And you can easily do flutter kick without kicking up silt, all it takes is a decade or two on the swim team.

Pretty sad article. All the loopy hoses and dangling octos and gauges pictured don't help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom