North FL dive location recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoDawgs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My husband and I are new divers and trying to fill our schedule with as much diving as we can get in. We are in Atlanta and during the summer we are doing some nearby quarries, but when the weather gets cold we will head south. We're doing Rainbow River in January (and already did it and Devil's Den about a month ago). We'll have 5 days in December where we have the time but not much $$ for a dive trip, so I was thinking a camping trip in North FL. What would be some good spots to hit that are driving distance from Atlanta (7 hours or less)? Maybe Ginnie Springs and Paradise Springs?

Don't forget Blue Grotto. Also you can dive at the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta....(kinda cheesey, but a unique experience)

I now live in ATL and routinely dive in Panama City Beach and Destin. I've also been to Gulf Shores AL a few times.

It's not the Keys or Palm Beach county, but it is still fun enough. There's plenty of descent cheap restaurants too.

Destin does have a few reefs, but they are small'ish, maybe a football field long. They do have a lot of life including nudibranches, mantis shrimp, etc. if you like small stuff. There are a lot of rubble piles from torn down concrete bridges and building materials where I've seen lots of bat fish and frog fish. Destin has a few wrecks too, though they're not very impressive.

PCB and Gulf Shores are wreck diving (and sunk iron bridge span) locations. I've seen lots of goliath grouper on these sites. One of the biggest bull sharks I've ever seen was on a wreck in the gulf.

Morrison Springs and Vortex Springs are nice to hit on your way to or from PCB.

There are a lot of good state parks to camp in

If you want to try something besides local quarries when you're not traveling, Lake Jocassee is fun.

GoDawgs: just did a few dives in Destin over the July 4th weekend. Here's a few photos that can give you a feel for the area.... again, not the Keys or Jupiter/WPB, but still fun......

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Manatee is definitely a cheap route. Cost $5. Just the cost to enter the grounds. (Camping Im sure is different) but overall with the dives, its fun for one tank but rather boring.

Ginnie springs is much better experience but does cost more. Honestly if you haven't ever dived there, then I strongly recommend it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom