Thermalution vest--heated side in front

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hatul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've used my Thermalution Yellow Plus heated vest a few times on shore dives here in S. California where the water temp drops to 59 F. It definitely help when used on High under my 7 mm wetsuit; not a miracle but it helps. I wish it also had a heating element on the front as the chest is more sensitive to cold than the back.

I was thinking of trying putting the back of the vest on my front chest and was wondering if anyone is using it that way. I'm not sure why they put the heating element on the back.

I was wondering about this as well. As far as the lower back heating goes pretty sure as it’s a central nervous system location it benefits most from warmth.

Here's the reply I got from Thermalution:
Our design of Yellow Grade Plus is with heating system on back side, for avoiding direct pressure or heating on chest (near heart). For people who would like to have heating area on front side, we would recommend them our another style – Blue Grade Plus with heating zones on belly and back. However, this style is for dive depth 50M and with CPS controller.

My wife and I have been using the Thermolution Red Grade vests this last year. Very happy with them, and they definitely helped dramatically on a recent 5 days of diving in 45F water in Canada. (Gods Pocket) We use them in our dry suits, they work in a wet suit as well. I find it will easily operate for 3 one hour dives in a day on Low setting. My wife sometimes sets hers higher so we bought her a second pair of batteries for a quick change if needed. At the end of the day I am much more comfortable with this vest working. The back mounted heating pad seems fine. You are adding warmth to the core body and this seems to do the job. It's not going to do the job of gloves or a hood keeping those parts warm but it does prevent you from getting overly chilled and shivering.

I find that in summer temps in the PNW >50F I don't really need the vest and often keep it off. The wireless remote makes it easy to turn it on or off as needed.

Service seems good too. I had one part missing for one of the orders and they were responsive and quick at shipping the missing component.

I add water to my 7/8mil semi-dry suit and let the Thermalution warm that water. I forget about being cold. I, like most people, have lots more fat in front than in back. If I were a skinny man, I’d buy two and sew them together.

I just reverse mine and put the heating element in the front, works fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom