Need a new primary handheld light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another DGX 800 fan - in fact I like it so much I just ordered the 600 (wide video beam) a few days ago. Hopefully that will be here tomorrow for Sunday GoPro diving.

Here are some stills from using the 800 - about at 80 ft, limited vis, lots of particulates. You can see the beam is a “fat laser”, def too hot for photography, but has some power behind it.
Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 11.45.35.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 11.37.02.png

I tried getting the Xtar D26 "Whale" based on the threads here. They showed in stock, but was then contacted by the seller a few days later saying they only had the newer 1600 available, which they would ship for no difference in price. The threads here has me leery of that particular model, so I declined. After that it was down to the DGX 600 or the CX1. I decided to buy once, cry once and got the CX1 for the larger battery capacity. Haven't got it really wet yet (couple more weeks before trip), but it is a solid piece of kit!!

Add another vote for the DGX 600

I've had several for 2+ years now and have not had a single issue...

I have upgraded the batteries, and I couldn't be happier with their performance.

I'm a long time fan of the UK SL4 eLED lights. They don't match your preference list maybe as directly as others but they have some advantages - crazy long burn time (hours), ability to use alkaline C-cells in a pinch, non-corroding/non-marring housing, tight beam for daytime use (not a good nightime flood at all), no need for lithium battery, don't heat up when used above water, hi-vis colors. I've used DIY LED conversions of the original Xenon model, and now the L1 eLED model, which is brighter. Haven't tried the new MK2 version I also prefer the ergonomics and one-handed switch operation of the brick shape.

For small handheld 1k lumen range lights these are hard to beat. Get a high quality 18650 battery and charger. Most of these small lights are made in the same factory and just rebranded. I have a few of these lights, Big Blue, Dive Rite and even a Razor brand light in this class. Honestly this is just as good as any of those if not better and way cheaper.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/273860580672

I'm a long time fan of the UK SL4 eLED lights. They don't match your preference list maybe as directly as others but they have some advantages - crazy long burn time (hours), ability to use alkaline C-cells in a pinch, non-corroding/non-marring housing, tight beam for daytime use (not a good nightime flood at all), no need for lithium battery, don't heat up when used above water, hi-vis colors. I've used DIY LED conversions of the original Xenon model, and now the L1 eLED model, which is brighter. Haven't tried the new MK2 version I also prefer the ergonomics and one-handed switch operation of the brick shape.
I use these for backup with my DGX600. Great lights!

You could get 2 DGX lights for the price of one UK...
Good thing cause you'll need two to match the burn time! :) The SL4 L1s are $80 at Amazon. Can't dispute, the DGX600 is a decent brand name price for what you get.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom