First time diving in Seattle area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joakala

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, folks!

I'll be in Seattle in September and I'm looking to dive, i'm open water certified and have less than 15 dives.

Any recommendations for a rookie?

Thanks,

@dewdropsonrosa was recently in Seattle and did a couple of dives. I recall it being a relatively sheltered area. She can tell you who she went with.

There's decent shore diving in the city proper, and a half day road trip to some really great sites.

Evergreen Dive Service in Everett, or Underwater Sports (many locations) can hook you up with a divemaster that would be happy to show you around, or maybe set you up with a boat dive if one is running that weekend.

It's a bit far (2.5 hours) from Seattle, but Mike's Beach Resort is pretty calm and has a lot of variation in the area. There are plenty of small sunken boats, tires, and appliances to explore. Most of the big stuff like the boats and appliances are in the 45-50 ft range if I remember correctly, but there are tires and seagrass to explore and observe critters in the 20-35 ft range. That's the only one I know of in Washington, sorry.

Check with Lighthouse Diving in Lynnwood. There was a group that would dive Tuesday nights at Seacrest Park. It was led by an instructor and some dive masters. Regulars in the group included divers that worked at the Seattle Aquarium. They welcomed newcomers and visitors who wanted to dive, and would pair them up a more experienced diver.

Ron

Start following the NWDiveClub.Com website and join some of the many planned dive outings. Lots of very active divers between Edmonds to Tacoma with regular dive gatherings every week.

Also look up the Marker Bouy dive club and consider joining. Even more events most every week all over the Puget Sound region.

What Dave said.

September (and October) are my favorite months to dive. Viz has improved from the summer, air temp has cooled off, but the water hasn't. Best time to dive in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom