BCD Inflating On Its Own

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DBPacific

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I have a pretty new DGX bp/w that's less than 4 months old and only has maybe 20-25 dives on it. Around last week (maybe 4 dives ago) I noticed that my BCD seemed to uncontrollably inflating itself from the very start of the dive, so I disconnected the inflator hose and dove anyways, orally inflating to adjust for buoyancy. I checked it before and after that dive for signs of corrosion or wear and didn't see anything, and ran water from a hose through the inflator connection and the mouthpiece to try and see if I could dislodge some grit that might've gotten inside. After that, it seemed fine on the surface but about 5 minutes into the dive (pretty much the moment I pushed the inflator button once actually at depth) it started inflating again, so repeated disconnecting it and went on my way, again tried to run water and give a closer inspection. My last dive a few days ago I managed to get to the bottom and use the inflator button just fine for a few pushes, but after 10 minutes when I had to push it since I'd gone a bit deeper it again just wouldn't stop inflating itself. I don't have the tools to take it apart and it seems like if it was just grit then it would always be stuck instead of being okay for slightly longer each dive. I noticed the connection between my tank and my first stage kept hissing for two of those dives - I checked the tank valve o-ring and everything seemed fine, plus my second stages and SPG were completely fine. I don't really mind diving while using the oral inflate now that I've gotten used to it, but it does take more time away from when I should be working. Does anyone have any ideas that I can check to see if something else is out of place, or should I just replace the power inflator assembly completely? Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks.

Inflator Service Tool w/O-Ring Kit | Dive Gear Express®

You might try calling them up and telling them about it. You could order this kit which will allow you to disassemble, clean and re-assemble which will probably fix the issue.
I looked at that and I'm ordering it but I'm leaving in two days for a week of diving and surveys about 3 hours north and won't be able to use the kit until I get back. I probably should've ordered the kit the moment I bought the BCD but didn't even realize it existed.

Very likely it’s your lp hose on your regs, swap hoses or remove and clean the schrader valve.

Very likely it’s your lp hose on your regs, swap hoses or remove and clean the schrader valve.
I'll try that, thanks. I accidentally have a spare lp hose so I can swap that out no problem

When my Halcyon wing did that, the problem was the power inflator head.

The tool makes it really easy to remove the inflator mechanism but it is also possible to use the points of long needle nose pliers to remove it to clean and lubricate it.

I looked at that and I'm ordering it but I'm leaving in two days for a week of diving and surveys about 3 hours north and won't be able to use the kit until I get back. I probably should've ordered the kit the moment I bought the BCD but didn't even realize it existed.
Note that says it is for a widely available generic inflator. You might be able to find the same kit from another vendor locally before you leave. Also, if you add a spare button assembly to your kit, you can swap it quickly in the field and then deal with a full disassembly and cleaning later.

This happened to me as well. Replace the Schrader valve. It’s cheap, easy and it solved my issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom