Dive boat accident involving Dive tech and Cathy Church boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divetech bought a new boat shortly before the incident. They may never be made whole. I have problems with this discussion. Firstly my background a long time ago was with a top tier NY-International law firm. Granted we did not have a marine partner. I have only met Miss Church at a handful of watersports meetings. She kept her mouth shut until she had something to say and honestly seemed on point especially from a diver point of view. I hadn’t never really dealt with her except Christmas presents (lens for the kid) and was very impressed with her knowledge and love for diving. That said I deal with Divetech every month. They are so awesome. They are competitors but if I had to send customers elsewhere I would send them there in the drop of a hat. There are ops that get all mentioned time and time again that have terrible reputations locally but who is to judge. You have a good experience and that’s all good. Most folks here are probably good divers. For all you Solo divers our there good bye to someone who actually supported them I am saying goodbye to a remarkable lady I barely one I knew but was the voice of reason in many meetings and who certainly fvcked up, but was noteworthy in our industry. I cannot help to feel sad for Divetech and for her and for everyone else who drinks the Koolaid. I resent comments like kangaroo court and up dates from someone who comes once a year during low season. This is my home, these are my colleagues and some deserve more respect than others, but shouldn’t there be common decency before all the negative commentary?
I’m not following you at all. I’ve met Cathy Church a few times at her studio and she certainly seems a great lady - she almost even talked my wife into trying scuba! None of that changes and I still respect her for that and for her knowledge of underwater photography and diving. I’m not seeing anyone here bashing her personal character or accomplishments.

However, in this case something happened that appears to have been totally avoidable and I’m glad there will be consequences. No one should get a pass just because they are a good person and are influential in the industry.

I also must add that the rest of us can have opinions too - this forum is not limited to those who live on Grand Cayman as you’ve seemed to want to say in a few GC threads.

I just think it’s sad that there is so much negativity. Comments like kangaroo court and island time because it took 5 months to bring charges are a bit insulting especially when made by people who don’t know the system here. Isn’t it better that they took the time to try to get it right? No one who is involved can comment until the criminal and then the civil cases are done. So commentary about details being held back because who is involved etc are unfair. I am not at all saying the system here is better than elsewhere but we do have one.

Firstly my background a long time ago was with a top tier NY-International law firm.

but shouldn’t there be common decency before all the negative commentary?

I am not at all saying the system here is better than elsewhere but we do have one.

Wait what? Ha ha ha ha ha ha... You have got to be kidding there is no way you don't find being a lawyer and asking for sympathy / holding back public opinion hilarious? I had a hearty laugh... Especially the part of being from NY - that was great. :)

The rush to judgment here is extremely sad. I am glad that there was a lengthy investigation into what happened rather than the torches-and-pitchforks approach others seem to be promoting. I am glad that there will be an accounting for what happened, and consequences.

I hope that Divetech had the necessary insurance to cover the damages. The fact that nobody was hurt was very fortunate, but could easily have been different.

I hope that the results of the investigation will be published, and that this will cause all water-sports operators to review their own procedures to help improve safety overall, and revise if necessary. In general, during all my time out on the water on Grand Cayman, I have found crews to be extremely well-disciplined and safety-oriented (both on and under the water), but that doesn't mean that this isn't an opportunity for everyone to look at their own operations and see if changes are warranted.

I have met Ms Church once but it was not directly connected with water-sports, but her photography business.

I said I worked for law firms not that I was a lawyer. I lived in NY most of my life. Never realized that either meant I cannot be sympathetic. Oh well I guess I don’t live in a perfect place where everything goes along perfectly so I should just have thicker skin when I read such well meaning comments. Silly old me.

I'm not rushing to judgement but I would like to see a rush to transparency and to a full investigation. Justice delayed is justice denied.
I am sympathetic; to Divetech and their customers who had a frightening experience through no fault of their own. I know and like Cathy Church but that does not excuse her from not being at the helm of a moving boat.

I'm not a Cayman resident but have been on island perhaps 40 to 50 times over the years. My observation, for what it's worth, has been that those who are well connected seem to often get a pass when it comes to what would be egregious offences in other jurisdictions.

It takes time to do a "full investigation", though, and the public has no right to know all the stages of it. Legal systems do not move quickly in any country and you can wait years for trials. I don't think it's fair to single out Cayman or this case, or to already be guessing as to what the outcome may be.

Is the DiveTec boat back in service yet?

Hi Kathy,

Not yet. While the hull, deck house and flybridge have been repaired, there are some other issues we still need to work on. The conduit which contained all of the wiring and control cables was severed, so this has caused some electrical issues. The turbo has seized from sitting unused for 6 months, and there are a few other issues we are working on.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom