Insecure after recent PANIC on last two dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I am currently on holiday in Port Douglas. I live in California. I got certified in Monterey, California, about 19 years ago. During my first year of diving I completed about 30, all dives in Monterey (cold water). I even turned to my rescue certification. I never had any significant problems or challenges, I didn’t have any anxieties or fears or any scoop or concerns. However, I left the sport after my first year. Fast forward 19 years I have a 13-year-old son who just got certified in Monterey. I also did the Refresher. We spent the last four days in Papua New Guinea. The first day I did two dives and I did fine, no problems. However, the second day when we were at Albatross, I kept struggling with my mask. I was not successful in clearing my mask despite repeated tense, I tilted my head back more to give an another try however I inhaled a large quantity of water. I was coughing up water into my regulator but I felt like I couldn’t catch my breath and I couldn’t breathe plus I couldn’t see because my mask was flooded. I panicked and knowing that I was only down 6 m, I shot to the surface so that I could coffered ocean water and see. The next dive we were diving in currents and the same thing happened again . Currently I am in Port Douglas and I am scheduled to go scuba diving to the great barrier reef on a boat for three dives on Poseidon with my son. By the way my son did outstanding at all his dives even the dive master we dove with even said my son is a natural.

I paid extra to have a private instructor go diving with just me and my son at the reef. Now that I have panicked on two dives this week, I feel uneasy about diving tomorrow. I am nervous and fearful about diving tomorrow. I don’t want my fear to stop me, but I also want to stay safe. I will tell my instructor what is going on. I am thinking of asking if first dive we keep shallow, even 10 feet or at most 20 feet. Maybe I should ask for some practice time on clearing my mask?

Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions, it would be really appreciated.

Thank you!

Some instructors may answer soon, but it seems you might be tipping your head back too much. If you're level in the water, i.e. horizontal, you should just need to tip your head a bit so that you look forward, not down, and then gently, gently, blow into the mask to displace the water down. A finger lightly pressing on the top of the mask will seal the top and add a bit of gap at the bottom for the water to go out. If you are vertical in the water, you should not need to tip your head back any further. A bit of water that your nose rests in might be unavoidable if your mask does not fit well, but choking is not needed.

All you need is a 'down' spot in your mask for the water to pool, and a little gap there for it to leave by. Once you add a bit of air to push the water out. Looking forward, the nose area is convenient as the down spot, and if you do not look past the horizon, then the upward pathway into your nose should prevent water getting in it. But people are generally taught to look up, meaning to the horizon, but might get taught that on their knees or when hanging vertically. So they look up up up above them, and then it is easy for the water to find a nice path into and down the nose.

Mask off with face up to the sky is not fun. Or mask flooded that way, which is essentially the same thing. Water runs in through your nose into your throat. Just like swimming in the pool as kids. Exhaling slightly, like as kids, helps but eventually you need that next breath. You can pinch your nose, or just turn downward or at least face level, toward the horizon.

Do you have a pool? You might play with that a bit if it sounds like your issue.

After resolving that, I would spend a bit of time on the dive with no mask. At the surface with your instructor watching the first few times. Just a minute or two a few times during the dive. Or just 15 seconds once you are comfortable. Not to take up much of your dive, but to reorient that mask off or flooded is no big deal to you. And very flooded can be more annoying than off. Bolting to the surface creates a big risk. You want to be comfortable with a bit flooded mask, or none.

When you are mask off, I've found holding the mask in a big ok signal in your hand, and turning that hand gently about so any looking can see the ok, helps to relieve worry of those around you. Though you might get questions later about doing the next dive with a mask...:)

Can you practice in pool or bathtub? Maybe choose a snorkel option, to work on mask issues.
1/3 of the issue is the mask and clearing it, but 1/3 of it could be that our faces change, (not as firm flesh), after many years, so that masks requirements change. Generally a more flexible soft material that molds to face, plus LESS tightening. Overtightening mask strap makes the mask leak more, just let water pressure hold it on.
1/3 of issue is the feeling of fear, which many people get surprised by. Basically when we were young we were invincible and 30 years later we know we are not.
If you love diving, you go slow and practice until you’re comfy again.

Make sure that your mask isn’t too tight. If the strap is too tight, it’ll mess with the seal and the mask can start filling up as soon as you’ve emptied it.

Keep the next dives shallow and ask the instructor for some mask clearing pointers.

Strap placement can make a difference, too. If my mask leaks, I know I have my strap too high on the back of my head. Usually, any location above my ears will cause it to leak. When I start a dive and start getting water in, I know I've forgotten to place the strap across the top of my ears. Once I adjust it, the leaking stops completely.

I am not clear whether you have a problem with the fit of the mask, or just an issue with clearing it when some water inevitably makes it inside anyway. So first, follow the advice here (and the advice/help you can get in person on your dives) to be sure your mask fits as well as it can.

On the clearing issue, it sounds like you might be getting some steps out of sequence. Be sure to start the exhale through your nose at the same time as you start to tip your head back - or sooner. If you tip first then exhale, most folks stand a pretty good chance of tipping water into their nose and down the back of the throat. Does that sound like it might be what happened?

Hello,

I am currently on holiday in Port Douglas. I live in California. I got certified in Monterey, California, about 19 years ago. During my first year of diving I completed about 30, all dives in Monterey (cold water). I even turned to my rescue certification. I never had any significant problems or challenges, I didn’t have any anxieties or fears or any scoop or concerns. However, I left the sport after my first year. Fast forward 19 years I have a 13-year-old son who just got certified in Monterey. I also did the Refresher. We spent the last four days in Papua New Guinea. The first day I did two dives and I did fine, no problems. However, the second day when we were at Albatross, I kept struggling with my mask. I was not successful in clearing my mask despite repeated tense, I tilted my head back more to give an another try however I inhaled a large quantity of water. I was coughing up water into my regulator but I felt like I couldn’t catch my breath and I couldn’t breathe plus I couldn’t see because my mask was flooded. I panicked and knowing that I was only down 6 m, I shot to the surface so that I could coffered ocean water and see. The next dive we were diving in currents and the same thing happened again . Currently I am in Port Douglas and I am scheduled to go scuba diving to the great barrier reef on a boat for three dives on Poseidon with my son. By the way my son did outstanding at all his dives even the dive master we dove with even said my son is a natural.

I paid extra to have a private instructor go diving with just me and my son at the reef. Now that I have panicked on two dives this week, I feel uneasy about diving tomorrow. I am nervous and fearful about diving tomorrow. I don’t want my fear to stop me, but I also want to stay safe. I will tell my instructor what is going on. I am thinking of asking if first dive we keep shallow, even 10 feet or at most 20 feet. Maybe I should ask for some practice time on clearing my mask?

Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions, it would be really appreciated.

Thank you!

M&S...

It happens...you're older...wiser...not as much of a risk taker...what was once second nature has become unfamiliar...and the list goes on...

Take baby steps...suggest a 40 ft max depth for now...no currents of any kind...check...re-check...and check your gear again before entering the water...gear has changed a lot in 20 years...prepare a written checklist if it will help you...

It will either come back...or it won't...you've nothing to prove to anyone...and there's absolutely nothing down there worth getting in trouble over...

If your mask won't seal on the surface by performing a simple ''seal test'' it will not seal below the surface...you may need to go mask shopping...

Best...Stay Safe...

Warren

Make sure you have a well fit mask. If this one leaks try some others until you fine a good seal.

In case it is not obvious among all of the mask fit advice, I need to make a very important point - yes, if you don't have a good fitting mask, change that now for a more enjoyable dive. But regardless of how fantastic your mask is, you must be able to clear a partially or fully flooded mask without choking and rocketing to the surface. That is your job #1 right now. As I tell my students: you don't have to enjoy it, you just need to be able to do it.

If you are wearing a hood, make sure none of the material is underneath the mask. When my mask floods, it's usually because I've forgotten to check for material under the mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom