Puzzled over NAUI certification "name changes"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would be fair if there was no proof of certification. However, I have both of my original C-cards.
What prevents you from using these original c-cards? A lot has changed in the diving world over the years. Your c-cards were earned when a certain type of gear was available and a certain mindset. Different skills were required back then and we didn't know as much.

I don't share your belief that NAUI is required to replace your old c-cards with new equivalents. There's nothing wrong with them at all. Your belief that they should keep paper records for an infinite amount of time is also misguided. There was no NUI database back then, so you're not it it. The financial cost to update all those ancient records is prohibitive. No reasonable person would expect them to do that.

Back in 1976 when I was first certified by PADI, there were no certification numbers so if you didn’t have your original card you were out of luck getting a replacement because their records were on microfilm and they were sketchy at best.

The financial cost to update all those ancient records is prohibitive. No reasonable person would expect them to do that.

The Europeans have managed to keep records dating back several hundred years ago but it is too much to ask NAUI to keep "ancient" records from... the 80s? It really does not make any sense defending an irresponsible organization. I am not the only one mentioning such things about NAUI. Please open your eyes.

No matter what the situation, this is the first thing that comes out of the mouth of almost every dive shop employee I have come in contact with other the decades. All about the $$$. I could have 2,000 logged dives for all anyone knows. Maybe you are the ones that need a refresher course, especially in common sense!

For the record, my old cards have never prevented me from getting air either. If it ever became an issue, I would just buy my own compressor. But that's not the point. The point is that NAUI needs to be held accountable for their blatant negligence. They were counting on people being sheeple, dying off, etc. I don't roll like that. If I pay for something and complete the requirements just to have it taken away/not recognized due to the incompetence of some pencil pusher(s), we have a problem. The attacks I have received throughout this post are simply attempts to avoid the issue, as if the SCUBA zombies have pledged allegiance to NAUI. There are also individuals who enjoy to add fuel to the fire...it fills a void in their lives.
I don't work for a dive shop. I'm not an instructor or any type of "pro." Just some fat guy who likes to dive. You seem unreasonable to me, and I thought I'd comment with some ways for you to diffuse the situation. Clearly that was my mistake. You seem more interested in trolling than in actually solving your problem, so I'll go find another thread.

I don't work for a dive shop. I'm not an instructor or any type of "pro." Just some fat guy who likes to dive. You seem unreasonable to me, and I thought I'd comment with some ways for you to diffuse the situation. Clearly that was my mistake. You seem more interested in trolling than in actually solving your problem, so I'll go find another thread.

I actually corresponded quite calmly with a staff member from NAUI who seemed to be on the ball that genuinely tried to help. He was completely dumbfounded because NAUI changed its standardization scheme many times without any rhythm or rhyme. He probably moved on to bigger and better things, like McDonald's.

A lot has changed in the diving world over the years. Your c-cards were earned when a certain type of gear was available and a certain mindset.

Changes? Like we have finally learned not to do 56 in a 55 or eat yellow snow?

Let me take the mystery out of SCUBA for you brainlets...

1. You put the regulator in your mouth.
2. You go underwater and equalize accordingly.
3. You pray that a Great White doesn't decide that you are on the menu.
4. You come up slowly (If a Great White is messing with you then settle for the bends because then at least you still have a chance).

Of course, I am exaggerating a bit, but it's really not all that hard if you think about it. If people really think SCUBA is technical, then I invite them to take on a subject like electrical engineering. The first 50 pages of the most basic electrical engineering textbook contain more complexity than all the content of all courses from each dive organization combined...and then some. So enjoy your downtime but don't think that you are engaged in an activity designed for only a select group of geniuses. And thank God that IQ tests aren't required for certification!

Back
Top Bottom