Newbie looking for carry-on luggage suggestions to put gear in.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks @Neilwood that looks to be a good size that should work for most airlines. The price is steep for the NF brand but I'll see if I can find a deal on one possibly.

I'm not looking for a backpack style, strictly rolling as mentioned. I already carry a backpack with other stuff in it as I've mentioned.

I really like the Pelican Air 1535 Case. It is guaranteed for life and is the maximum carry on size. It comes with or without foam.

Hmm those Pelican Air 1535 cases look interesting. I wish I could see something like that in person somewhere but there is nothing around me according to their website.

My two cents:

One checked roller bag: BP/W, fins, booties, regulator set wrapped in wetsuit for protection, and all other dive gear, such as lights, SMB, PLB, etc., spares/tools, as well as most items of clothing, some personal and toiletry items, and liquids/sprays. This reaches about the 50 lb. limit.

One carry-on bag in the form of a standard "day" backpack: dive computer, mask, prescription meds, some clothing, some more personal items, phone/charger, water bottle, and things I will need while in flight.

"Personal item": small padded case with GoPro/tray/lights/accessories.

I have the Pelican @purbeast mentioned. I've seen people with dive gear, camera equipment and who knows what else packed in them. If it's a piece of checked luggage I think it would draw attention the same as a Mares or Aqualung bag would. But as a carry on I think it's good.

Someone else mentioned they would pack the wetsuit and booties in your checked bag. I agree. You can rent both of those - or, if you'll be in warm water you may be able to do without the wetsuit a few days until lost luggage arrives - and booties are no big deal to rent. Save the space for the most important stuff to keep at hand.

Keep in mind that carry on regulations wary between airlines. While say, AA and Delta are quite generous, Fiji Air and Virgin Australia will allow only a 15 pd piece as carry-on. Allegiant sets limit for both check in and carry on at 40 pd. They'll let you in with a 50-pounder but you'll have to pay extra $50. Etc, etc...

That's a very good point, make sure that you know the baggage allowance and carry-on policy for your airline. One time in the Bahamas we were flying a small plane to an Out Island and they weighed both the passengers and the luggage before deciding what could travel on the plane with us.

Years ago, when traveling in Central America (Honduras or Belize, I think?) we had to select 1 checked bag - for both of us - that they labeled special and guaranteed would be put on the plane with us.

When we travel to the Cayman Sister Islands on a Cayman Airways Twin Otter, you are allowed a total of 55 lbs luggage per person and that means everything, including carry-ons, and you may be charged per pound for overweight baggage. You won't be allowed any large carry-ons (no rollerboards or large back packs, etc.) because large carry-ons will be placed in the baggage hold.

It is not unusual to have a bag delayed by a day. This is a bigger problem for Little Cayman because Cayman Brac has a larger airport that can accept bigger planes and jets both day and night. The small airport on Little Cayman can only take small propeller planes and only during daylight.

The last time we were there in 2017 the suitcase with most of our clothes was delayed for a day. Another couple had the bag with all their dive gear delayed - but the dive shop loaned them gear for free until their stuff arrived. I tend to bring a large purse that I can jam under the tiny seat in front of me and I pack it with essentials like medications, glasses and contact lenses, C-cards, swimsuits, and clean undies, phones and dive computers, just things that we will really need if our luggage is delayed. The staff at the LCBR laundered our clothes for free to help us get by until our missing bag arrived.

We've had bags delayed elsewhere, Cozumel and Bonaire and other places, but they usually show up within a day. It is inconvenient but it usually works out.

The only damage was when we made the mistake of bringing a bottle of Tia Maria back from Mexico in our checked baggage. We thought that we had padded and protected it well but it broke during transport. The bag was leaking and we could smell it on the conveyer belt at the airport; most of the stuff inside was ruined and so was the suitcase!

Those of you who have the Pelican 1535, can you fit pretty much everything in it, other than fins?

Wetsuit, BCD, regs, booties, mask?

The fact that it has no padding or any "fluff" makes me think that you can fit more in there than some of the other ones that are similar sized, but it's just hard to tell without playing around with one.

I really like the Pelican Air 1535 Case. It is guaranteed for life and is the maximum carry on size. It comes with or without foam.

Unless one has a lot of expensive camera gear, why would a hard-shelled case like that be preferable to a standard rollaboard or backpack? Ordinary dive gear, even regulators, doesn't need that kind of protection. As a carry-on, it's not like a baggage handler is going to mangle it. I'm not seeing the advantage, just unnecessary weight/bulk.

Unnecessary? :clapping: The weight difference is negligible. You will replace your standard roll aboard multiple times and you will not with this. I see no advantage to going the standard roll aboard route. AND, there are times when they will MAKE you check your carryon whether you want to or not. To each his own!!!

Looks like REI has North Face Rolling Thunder 22's in store so I'm going to check one out at the store this week and see how I like em and what I think about stuff fitting in them.

Back
Top Bottom