Pelagic Dives Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowflyer

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
The nighttime Pelagic dives in Kona, HI, appear magical. Has anyone had success photographing the amazing organisms and if so does it require fancy equipment? I am no good at photography and wonder whether one of the less expensive SeaLife cameras would get good images of the critters.

I have had some pretty great success using a TG5 and small video light.

On our dive, a teen-aged (new) diver with a GoPro and no separate lights got some very good footage. Not commercial grade, but easily home movie grade and good enough to show the family and friends back home what it’s all about.

I’d call Jack’s and see what they recommend for the dive. I saw some serious rigs, and the kid with the GoPro.

Her footage from the Pelagic and Manta dives is what convinced me to buy a GoPro. So next year when I’m there, I’m bringing back my own home movies.

Thank you for the replies!

I did a blackwater dive with Big Island Divers last Friday and highly recommend the dive - it's a unique, weird, kinda freaky, but awesome experience.

We saw dozens of popcorn-sized Hawaiian bobtail squid, and had larger squid schools dart between us (one inked right by me and another bounced off my wife), saw a few seahorses, and a lot of comb jellies and other strange critters.

I brought my Olympus TG-5 with a focus light and a single Inon S2000 strobe and it was *very difficult* to get any good images to come out. I think I'll need a few more of these dives before nailing some awesome stuff - the biggest challenge was getting focus. I did get a couple solid shots of the bobtails and seahorses though, so it wasn't a total loss, but nothing like the big beautiful macro blackwater photos pros take. :D

The TG-5 doesn't have a good rear focus / thumb focus mode, and if you go into manual focus its really easy to bump it out of manual focus again next time you take an image. I had the best success putting my hand near the critter I was trying to shoot, focus-holding on my hand, then moving my hand away and snapping the pic.

Basically, definitely go on a blackwater dive, take photos if you want, don't expect amazing results the first time and you'll be happy you went.

Back
Top Bottom