Regulator recovery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OTOH, if I lose my primary for real, it'll be dangling from its hose somewhere around my right shoulder D-ring, so maybe that's what you mean about the sweep being stupid?
Precisely. The sweep was developed for a diver kneeling on the bottom. I works perfectly in that situation but flat out fails in the "Scuba Position" with a short or long hose. The Scuba Position, as coined by @mselenaous, is a horizontal, flat attitude off the bottom and below the surface.

With a long hose, you simply find where it lies on your neck. No sweep needed.
With a short hose, you tilt your head down a tad and the hose appears on your right. If it's stuck behind your back, a simple barrel CW barrel roll should reveal it, but you should put your bungeed octo in first.

The sweep was developed for a diver kneeling on the bottom. I works perfectly in that situation but flat out fails in the "Scuba Position" with a short or long hose.
IME I wouldn't say it "flat out fails". At least not without reservation.

When I was a n00b, I managed to kick the reg out of my buddy's mouth - who also was a n00b, BTW - when I turned port and duck dived to the bottom to pick up a scallop. Yes, we're sticklers for close buddy proximity; we don't usually have 10-20m vis. Before I'd turned back, my buddy had performed two sweeps, the first failing, the second succeeding, and recovered their reg. During the debriefing I asked why they hadn't just gone to the octo when the first sweep failed? Well, that was the plan if the second sweep failed.

Well, that was the plan if the second sweep failed.
Gud enuf.

The point is to pull a HHGTTG moment and "Don't Panic". It's done through getting the student comfortable enough so that they can think and remember their training.

I do these very routinely. Horizontally, neutrally bouyant and with a longhose.
Students breeze through it, too.

It's easy.

So long as you don't blow bubbles while you're trying to be neutral :wink:
Actually, how do "they" manage to hold neutral bouyancy while blowing bubbles?

So long as you don't blow bubbles while you're trying to be neutral :wink:
Actually, how do "they" manage to hold neutral bouyancy while blowing bubbles?
Damn, how long time do you need to find that reg?

Damn, how long time do you need to find that reg?

A second. A minute.
Doesn't matter - I'm neutral and in control of my buouyancy throughout.
That's the whole point.

I'm neutral and in control of my buouyancy throughout.
So am I. And I'm quite capable of keeping my buoyancy within limits even if I'm blowing a tiny stream of bubbles during my reg recovery demonstration.

If you get buoyancy issues during that exercise, it's my very much not humble opinion that you either use a very long time to locate your reg, or that you blow too many bubbles. Thus my somewhat flippant question.

The question is: why blow bubbles when you're neutral? What's the point?

Back
Top Bottom