Diving in the Bay Area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dewdropsonrosa

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a free Saturday (August 3) while I'm in town for a wedding and would really love to squeeze in a dive while I'm there. Unfortunately, I won't quite have the time to get down to Monterey for the really nice diving.

Is there anywhere in the Bay Area itself (preferably southern end, I'll be in Palo Alto) to get a single shore dive? Any recommended operators?

Renting a car appears to be not as expensive as I thought ($50 for economy model), so I might bite the bullet on that and go to Monterey after all.

Next question, if I can make it to Monterey:

Beachhopper II or Sanctuary? (Escapade is booked up already.)

Sanctuary and Beachhopper are both good but, as @runsongas said, Sanctuary is a 6-pack, Beachhopper averages 10-12 and it can get a little tight. You'll hit similar spots on both boats and the captain+crew are both good.

Sanctuary does offer an afternoon charter but I would recommend against it as it's consistently windy - it's attractive time-wise since you don't have to wake up super early but sign up for the morning charter.

Are you traveling with another diver? Get Pt Lobos reservations. You can also hire a dive guide to go with you there.

EDIT: I'm in Canadaland that weekend otherwise I would have offered to go with you.

I'm solo for this trip and would need to enlist a buddy, if not on a charter.

pt lobos is somewhat of a gamble. no guarantee the conditions will be good this far out. if you have a reservation and the conditions look good, lining up a buddy isn't too hard. just you might end up eating the reservation fee if the conditions end up bad.

solo diving north monastery (south has too many urchin) or breakwater is an option if you are comfortable with it and bring a pony bottle or don't mind non-mirrored SM. not sure any of the local shops rent manifolded doubles or pony bottles, but you can ask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom