ISO Clearer Definitions on "Training" and "Certification"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't really learn any additional skills as compared to your OW class.
Well, Night is one of the standard AOW dives up here. One night dive, with a decent briefing on proper light procedures, is about what a decently intelligent student needs to know to start night diving.

When I took my AOW Night, Deep and Nav were compulsory with that op. In addition, I got Boat and PPB. Of those, I'd say that Night was the most useful. The other stuff (except being certified to go deeper than 18m) I'd already learned pretty well by just diving. But then I had a few dives under my belt between my OW and my AOW. I have the impression that not everyone has that, and if you take your AOW pretty shortly after your OW a few more of those adventure dives may be useful.

The point is not fundamentally [...]
Nothing should be seen fundamentally. In 99.9% of the situations you get into, the right answer is "it depends"

The shop in Brainerd (near the op) pretty much always does night, deep, nav, ppb, and search and recovery.

The shop in Brainerd (near the op) pretty much always does night, deep, nav, ppb, and search and recovery.
Sounds like a good package. Unless you have a few dives under your belt and have been mentored decently, you'll probably learn something useful from those dives. Provided, of course, that the instructor is of decent quality.

Then there is MODs....
Which is why you take a course on NitrOx. However, for an AL80 on a boat, you're probably going to run out of gas and/or time way before you approach your NDLs.

Then there is MODs....
The world's shortest and simplest nitrox class:
  • Always analyze your gas.
  • Use 32%.
  • Don't go deeper than 30m/100' (which is a good idea for at least two other reasons).
  • Watch your SPG.

Done.

I require great trim & buoyancy before we start on anything else. Search and recovery (while slinging a pony), Night/limited vis, Nav, Deep and REEF census are my required.

Find and instructor who charges by the day and

Out of curiosity, do you charge by the day? If so, what is your rate and what constitutes a day? I've never come across anyone who charges by the day.

Out of curiosity, do you charge by the day?
I charge $250/half day on many things, but not AOW.

By the way AOW is not required for Deep. It suffices as a prereq, but only Adventure Diver is needed.

I would add, check the pricing on adventure diver as it may cost you more than AOW, and depending on instructor logistics, may take longer to achieve.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom