Being left on the dive site: How to avoid and how to survive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PLB's are brilliant, if you're in an area they work, but IMO are the last line of defence for a diver...PLB's don't work in my area.

Agree, they are a last line of defense. But, a 406 MHz PLB will work in your area, because they work everywhere.

Agree, they are a last line of defense. But, a 406 MHz PLB will work in your area, because they work everywhere.
They do rely on someone being motivated enough to come get you.

I read it as he was diving off a boat and the plan was for him to break off and swim to shore when he was done with his dive (for whatever reason). The dive boat knew this and split while he was still down thinking he’d be fine, and he got swept away.
Sounds like a very bad plan.

I read it as he was diving off a boat and the plan was for him to break off and swim to shore when he was done with his dive (for whatever reason). The dive boat knew this and split while he was still down thinking he’d be fine, and he got swept away.
Sounds like a very bad plan.

That was common around here among some of us old divers. We would have fishermen drop us off at the site. They'd go fishing and come back in an hour or so. We got away with that for a few years. Then the fishermen we knew stopped going, so they saved us from ourselves. By that time I was married and Mrs. AD was expecting our 1st so AD had to slow down some.

These days I have a safety pouch fixed to my harness. The pouch contains: a folding knife on a lanyard, a finger spool / 4' SMB with a divers flag sewn onto it, a 50lb yellow lift bag, a signal mirror and a whistle. No electronic devices yet.

My favorite charter boat issues a number to each diver, as a diver boards the platform post dive they are asked their number and are checked off a list of divers.
After the list is all check off a roll call is called for a 2nd check. I like that system, makes me feel safe.

I do hope this thread won't degenerate into the usual of which PLB and endless canister talk...

PLB's are brilliant, if you're in an area they work, but IMO are the last line of defence for a diver.

I personally for remote ocean diving carry a 6' dsmb, a 12' smb, air horn, mirror and bright light. PLB's don't work in my area. I have equipped myself as far as reasonably practicable to give myself the chance of being seen and heard.

I have twice had the misfortune to be on the search boat looking for missing divers. It's a much different experience

Firstly you're not sure if its a surface search or a underwater search, and there is always reluctance to leave the dive site.

A diver is a small object, even if they're waving a long smb above their heads. You might not be looking in their precise direction, they might not be obvious to spot.

If the decision is for a surface search, you generally want to get other boats involved asap. You also need to understand the winds and currents in that area

Both times we found our divers, both times it took around 2 hours, and both times the divers were frustrated that they could see the boat but not the other way around.

Both times we found then approaching dusk when their torches had effect - and both times they'd drifted farther than predicted - but at least in the direction we were generally heading

Do the boats have marine radios equipped with DSC / AIS?

Step one borrow money from Captain

Step two borrow money from dive master

Step three enjoy your trip you won't be left behind until you pay up.

Step four pay both back if you survived.

I should have been clearer

It's extremely difficult to register one living in this area

But as @rjack321 pointed out, you need to rely on having someone to come get you. In the Strait of Hormuz that's pretty much the Iranians - if they could be bothered

Do the boats have marine radios equipped with DSC / AIS?
No.

Back
Top Bottom