Most lifetime dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You saying you never did a little deco in Y-40 or Nemo 33?
Never dived either Y-40 or Nemo 33 (whatever those are), so, yeah. Me saying that.

Really? I always figured that was the point!
[/QUOTE]
Y-40 is a lot of fun in the shallow, the pit if fun for free divers not for scuba. It is just a deep cilinder starting at -15 and going down to -40 ....

In the remainder you can walk upside down under the bridge, enter in wide overhead, or restrictions ... enjoy being in warm water and benign environment. I did go in the pit once or twice but not really my thing, deep has to have a purpose a goal otherwise is pointless.

@strumbarn

I don't think you will find an answer to your question. Why not have a nice plaque made commemorating your colleague's large number of dives and give it to him at his retirement party? I would bet he would appreciate that very much, coming from his friends

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think this where I'm headed based on the conversation.

The one thing I would be comfortable saying is that at 20,000+ he holds the record for the most dives in Alaskan waters.

at 20,000+ he holds the record for the most dives in Alaskan waters.
Just some back of the envelope calculations: Let's assume that he's retiring at around 67 and started diving at around 17. That's 50 years, or 2600 weeks.

So he's been diving - on average, through 50 years - nearly eight dives per week. That's pretty damned impressive.

@Sumbarn
This is very interesting..;.so many dives in the cold frozen north

Apparently you know your friend very well, Therefore perhaps you can fill in some details
such as
1)What agencies certified him?
2) What level ? Instructor number (S)
3) When did he begin his dive career ?
4) Where did he begin his dive career ?
5) Is he a SSI Pro 5000?
A) When was honor bestowed on him?
B) If not a SSI Pro 5000 - why not ?

An inquiring mind would like to know ?

Thank You

Sam Miller, 111

@Scuba Lawyer

@Marie13 CE

@Sumbarn
This is very interesting..;.so many dives in the cold frozen north

Apparently you know your friend very well, Therefore perhaps you can fill in some details
such as
1)What agencies certified him?
2) What level ? Instructor number (S)
3) When did he begin his dive career ?
4) Where did he begin his dive career ?
5) Is he a SSI Pro 5000?
A) When was honor bestowed on him?
B) If not a SSI Pro 5000 - why not ?

An inquiring mind would like to know ?

Thank You

Sam Miller, 111

@Scuba Lawyer

@Marie13 CE

I'd have to check his authorization to dive form, but I wouldn't be comfortable sharing that information online without his permission anyway.

I'm quite sure he doesn't have his SSI 5000. He isn't an instructor (for SSI or any other organization), and when I asked he had no idea what I was talking about (I also had never heard of it until this thread)

@strumbarn

I and the rest of the uninformed of the SCUBA Board such as @Storker, @yle, @scubadada, @Chilly in Canada, @jonhall and good ole @doctormike to name a few would like to know the criteria for all these chilly Alaskan Dives...And a little about the honoree

When did he begin diving ? 1930s ?1940s? 1950s?
Did he construct his regulator from plans published in a magazine?
What about F,M& S- Were did he obtain them in frozen Alaska ?
What kind of an exposure suit did he use ?

I would suspect any and all of the certifying agencies of yesterday and present day as well as the dive equipment manufactures would be interested in his accomplishments and would surely want capitalize on his massive number of dives ...His personal endorsements of training agencies and equipment would be a source of income for many years

Or perhaps he made all his equipment and like so many read the New Science of Skin and SCUBA in 1950 and unceremoniously trotted into the water ?

We will eagerly await you reply...

FYI The prestigious SSI Platinum Pro 5000 was established in 1992 - 26 years ago - to recognize ALL divers, of any agency who have made significant contributions to diving and have dove at least 5000 life time dives.

I suspect your friend achieved that mystic number many many years ago before SSI Platinum Pro 5000 was established

Once again...We eagerly await your reply, especially me, for I am a slow walking, slow thinking. slow talking broken down diver from California who has a proposed a few questions and has about 25,000 more

Sam Miller, 111

cc
@Scuba Lawyer -- SSI Pro 5000 1995
@Akimbo
@The Chairman

@Marie13 CE..

Back
Top Bottom