3mm full suit which packs for travel well

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tdallen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi -

I've been renting 2/3mm shorties while on vacation in tropical waters. I've been getting a little cold so I'm considering my own 3mm full suit. My goal is a little more thermal protection as well as protection against scratches, stings, etc.

Fit is obviously most important. Some brands appear more bulky (Henderson?) than others, though. Are there makes/brands that do (or do not) fold up better for packing than others?

Have you looked into non-neoprene options like Sharkskin or Lavacore? Those pack very small, provide a small amount of thermal protection and protection against abrasions and stings, and can be layered under a rented shorty.

I have no business interest in Bare. But, I have two Bare Elastek wetsuits, and like them both very much to the point that I am considering buying a new Reactive 3MM to replace my 3MM Elastek. All of the Bare wetsuits are very well made, hold up great, pack well (the 3MM more so than the 5MM just because of the thickness),and have a wide range of sizes that would appear to fit most body types. I tried on a lot of wetsuits before settling on the Bare brand and have never regretted the purchases. They have several wetsuit lines at various price points, one of which will likely fit your budget.

I have a Henderson Thermaxx 3mm which packs very well. Being fleece lined, it is not as thick as traditional 3mm neoprene yet is as warm or warmer. I've had mine for 5 years now and it is holding up well.

BTW, whether this is correct or not, I don't know. But my LDS told me to never fold a wetsuit other than from side to side, then roll it up. This is suppose to keep the neoprene from creasing and weakening it at said creases.

I’ve been using a Bare wetsuit, as well, but is has been the Velocity. It packs wonderfully. I can fit it, a Litehawk bcd, a hooded chicken vest, my mask and booties, along with emergency clothing, in a carry on with no problem. I will say that I am considering the Reactive 3 mm because I’ve started getting a bit cold. Otherwise, the Bares tend to be great. I also have a 7 mm Bare for home.

One word of caution, find somewhere to try them on. I bought the 3 mm on line based on the size of my 7 mm, and it is a bit large. Fit is important. Then, do the right thing and buy it from the shop where you tried it.

I hadn't considered Sharkskin or Lavacore, while I think I want my own 3mm full suit I'll have to think about it. @Altamira and @RIHappyDiver I have an LDS that carries Bare near where I work in RI, I'll have to stop by. Is the Reactive really that much better?

@GreggS The Henderson suits in particular looked a bit bulky to me - glad to hear yours travels well. The fleece lining looks really nice for doffing and donning.

Is the Reactive really that much better?

I haven’t tried the Reactive myself, but a couple of people I dive with traded from either the Sport or Velocity and say it’s like diving a 5 mm from those lines. If the shop you work close to is either Kalipso of Giant Stride I don’t think you can go wrong. Not sure about Kalipso’s on hand stock, but Lisa knows her stuff. Red, at Giant Stride, has a huge (relatively speaking) on hand selection of suits to try on. I haven’t been to Dive On It for a couple of years, so I can’t speak to them, but I’ve heard good things.

Good luck with your search.

Hi
I have a 3mm ScubaPro Definition. Fits very well. Keeps me warm in the Caribbean and the St Lawrence river (summer only) Easily folds in my luggage for trips to Bonaire, Curacao and local. I've worked at a scuba shop and heard good things about Bare and Henderson 3mm suits. My wife has Lavacore (she is not a diver) and loves it. Super light, warm and dries real fast. PS - I am having second thoughts on whether I should have bought a 5mm instead. :)

I hadn't considered Sharkskin or Lavacore, while I think I want my own 3mm full suit I'll have to think about it. @Altamira and @RIHappyDiver I have an LDS that carries Bare near where I work in RI, I'll have to stop by. Is the Reactive really that much better?

@GreggS The Henderson suits in particular looked a bit bulky to me - glad to hear yours travels well. The fleece lining looks really nice for doffing and donning.
Are you looking at the Thermaxx? In my opinion, it is not nearly as bulky as other 3mm wetsuits I've looked at. And honestly, I've not looked at any of the other Henderson lines of wetsuits so I can't say how they compare as far as bulkiness goes.

And, yes, the lining does make it very easy to don and doff.

For tropical diving, I travel with my Henderson Hyperstretch 3MM in my check-in luggage

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom