1 month in Indonesia (open to other Asia suggestions)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjmochi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Scubaboard has always been super helpful so I am back again asking for advice from the experts. It turns out I will very likely have an extra month of leave next year (work sabbatical) that will have to be taken consecutively and I will be solo (late-20s female) as my husband will not have the extra days. Definitely sticking to Asia Pacific, and thinking of Indonesia specifically as there are no direct flights and places are harder to get to / takes more time to travel. I did not think Philippines as we are based in HK right now which has many direct cheap flights to Manila/Cebu and I can fit in a 3-4 day diving trip to the Philippine destinations over a long weekend with almost no leave required, so seems like a waste to use it for the sabbatical as I will not get a 1 month consecutive leave again until I quit my job. But I am open to suggestions.

So far in Indonesia I have only dived Bali (Tulemban, Gili T, Nusa Penida), but I have planned 3 liveaboard trips on Carpe Diem next year for 1. Raja Ampat North+Central, 2. Komodo (and will transit through Bali so likely will dive Bali again-but where?), 3. Banda Sea+Raja Ampat South. I am thinking of adding a short long weekend trip to Anilao as well. My husband will join me on these so the sabbatical is extra. Other places I have dived include Malapascua, Similians/Richilieu, and Sipadan in Asia and Utila/Roatan outside of Asia. We have upcoming trips to Rangiroa/Fakarava and Maldives liveaboard as well for Oct/Dec this year.

From talking to random people I have the following on my list, but no idea how to prioritize:
1. Indonesia- Triton Bay or Cenderwaish Bay to see whale sharks, Derawan islands (was looking at Scubajunkie combo with Sipadan), Lembeh, Bunaken, Alor?
2. Philippine - Anilao, Puerto Galera, Moalboal, Bohol, Dumaguete, Coron - but seems all can be done relatively easily over short trips. Thinking of adding Tubbataha liveaboard or South Leyte which seems can't be done over a long weekend.
3. Australia or Fiji - how does GBR compare? was always on my list but seems a lot more expensive. Was looking at Mike Ball liveaboard
4. Palau?
5. PNG?

I can do any month of the year, but thinking Feb-March, or July-Oct (based on other trips already planned). Budget not an issue. Key consideration is I am trying to hit all the highlights in next 2 years before we have kids, so how to cram everything in by 2021? Also if suitable for solo female - for my husband's sake of mind. Diving wise I like both big stuff and macro and I am really starting to get into photography. If you have specific resorts/boats to recommend please do!

Thanks!

1. One month in Indonesia should cover plenty of interesting diving areas. SJ(Derawan) is very good.
2. Tubattaha is a must in Philippines. South Leyte is highly recommended and does require a wee bit of time to get there. Sipalay is also very nice but also time consuming to get there.

My first question would be - what kind of diving do you enjoy?
Reef diving with fish and big stuff?
Macro and or Muck diving?
Wrecks?

Scubaboard has always been super helpful so I am back again asking for advice from the experts. It turns out I will very likely have an extra month of leave next year (work sabbatical) that will have to be taken consecutively and I will be solo (late-20s female) as my husband will not have the extra days. Definitely sticking to Asia Pacific, and thinking of Indonesia specifically as there are no direct flights and places are harder to get to / takes more time to travel. I did not think Philippines as we are based in HK right now which has many direct cheap flights to Manila/Cebu and I can fit in a 3-4 day diving trip to the Philippine destinations over a long weekend with almost no leave required, so seems like a waste to use it for the sabbatical as I will not get a 1 month consecutive leave again until I quit my job. But I am open to suggestions.

So far in Indonesia I have only dived Bali (Tulemban, Gili T, Nusa Penida), but I have planned 3 liveaboard trips on Carpe Diem next year for 1. Raja Ampat North+Central, 2. Komodo (and will transit through Bali so likely will dive Bali again-but where?), 3. Banda Sea+Raja Ampat South. I am thinking of adding a short long weekend trip to Anilao as well. My husband will join me on these so the sabbatical is extra. Other places I have dived include Malapascua, Similians/Richilieu, and Sipadan in Asia and Utila/Roatan outside of Asia. We have upcoming trips to Rangiroa/Fakarava and Maldives liveaboard as well for Oct/Dec this year.

From talking to random people I have the following on my list, but no idea how to prioritize:
1. Indonesia- Triton Bay or Cenderwaish Bay to see whale sharks, Derawan islands (was looking at Scubajunkie combo with Sipadan), Lembeh, Bunaken, Alor?
2. Philippine - Anilao, Puerto Galera, Moalboal, Bohol, Dumaguete, Coron - but seems all can be done relatively easily over short trips. Thinking of adding Tubbataha liveaboard or South Leyte which seems can't be done over a long weekend.
3. Australia or Fiji - how does GBR compare? was always on my list but seems a lot more expensive. Was looking at Mike Ball liveaboard
4. Palau?
5. PNG?

I can do any month of the year, but thinking Feb-March, or July-Oct (based on other trips already planned). Budget not an issue. Key consideration is I am trying to hit all the highlights in next 2 years before we have kids, so how to cram everything in by 2021? Also if suitable for solo female - for my husband's sake of mind. Diving wise I like both big stuff and macro and I am really starting to get into photography. If you have specific resorts/boats to recommend please do!

Thanks!

Coron has some of the best wreck diving in a small area. I just did 4 wrecks several months ago there. Just realize alot of philippines is pretty modern. Coron is not.

Moalboal is nice for a day trip to do pescador. THAT being said from many people living there if you have to choose moalboal or Malapascua then do malapascua for el gato island and the thresher shark morning dives.

moaboal is on the southern end of cebu and malapascua is far northern end.

everything else I cant comment on first hand. fyi the people in cebu are freaking awesome. ive heard stories that palau isnt as nice in that regards. just reading accounts.

NAD Lembeh good people to dive with and a good vibe as a solo traveler.

GBR is similar to Indo but much less to see for more $.

I would be tempted to go further south in Aus for weedy sea dragons but that’s me.

Ambon is interesting.

Lucky you...
I am afraid I can't help you much. I have seen most of these places only in my dreams (and in some discussions here in SB).
For sure though a lot depend on the time of the year you have your leave. Is it fixed or flexible?
Also since 1 month is quite long to stay in one place, how much do you will to move during it? One destination, 2, 5, 10? Concentrate only on diving or also top side activities? I think these are essential questions you need to answer before anybody can help you.
Good luck and well done!

Thanks for the advice so far. To answer some of the questions:

1. I like both big and small- large schools of fish, sharks, mantas, turtles. I only recently discovered I like macro as well after I got a decent camera and lights. But I am really bad at spotting critters so my experience tends to be hit or miss depending on if I have a good guide, if not I find very little myself. I don't know the difference between macro and muck?
2. I don't really like wrecks. Not a history person. But if there's good life on the wreck I will still enjoy the dive.
3. I prefer clear visibility, light current, warm water easy diving, but will put up with strong currents/cold waters to see the big stuff. But looking for the easy relaxed dives for ~3 out of 4 weeks.
4. I am thinking of splitting my time in 3 or 4 places. Have not stayed longer than 6 days in one place before and think I'll get bored. But don't want to lose too much time in travel.
5. No time constraints, fully flexible which month I pick. But leaning toward Feb or July/Aug/Sep.
6. Topside is secondary, will do a few tours during rest days but not my primary focus.
7. Good internet and hot water will be ideal, as I will be solo.

4. Palau?
5. PNG?

Thanks!

Someone after my own heart...I am known to spend 2 months out of the year out in Southeast Asia diving, especially Indo. It's my favorite! Luck you; you will love it.

Have you booked your Banda/Raja crossing yet? If you haven't, I suggest that you split them up and do Banda with Alor doing the Ambon to Maumere or reverse route and then doing Raja Ampat separately. Otherwise, you will sacrifice a lot of Raja Ampat. I've been to Raja Ampat twice, one time as a 7 day liveaboard and the other as an 11 day liveaboard and when I return in the spring, it will be for a 12 day liveaboard. Trust me on this one, especially if you have the luxury of time. :) Lembeh is excellent if you like macro/muck, but if you don't have interest in the tiny things, or get bored easily with those items, I wouldn't bother. With that said, I really enjoyed myself and 2nd the recommendation of going to NAD Lembeh; it is an excellent run resort and the 1 guide to 2 diver ratio is good. Their dive logistics also ensure that they dive in a particular pattern around a dive site to minimize and even prevent anyone else from silting another group out, if there is someone that is not as good with their finning and techniques.

I have dived extensively in Indo and also dived the GBR on the Spirit of Freedom though have had friends who have been on Mike Ball a few times and they highly recommend it. The same friend has also been to PNG but with the safety issues right now, I would only consider it maaaaaybe on a liveaboard, but I would write off land based for now. I know some friends that have dived Palau as well as Raja Ampat and they liked Raja a lot more when asked to pick.

Coron has great WWII wrecks; I did a safari from El Nido to Submariner and stayed in guesthouses each night for a 4 day, 3 night stint. Eat and dive off boat (nitrox available) during the day. Puerto Galera is good, but not as good as Indonesia in my opinion. However, it is very economical. I highly recommend Asia Divers/El Galleon. The food is also excellent there and they have a great concierge diving arrangement with a nice pier, the only one in that bay. Don't miss Verde Island - it is on par with the best dive sites in Komodo such as Batu Bolong and Crystal Rock, etc.

Unfortunately, if you are trying to hit the best diving in the Philippines, that would be Tubbataha, and that is by liveaboard access only and the season runs from late March to early or mid June. There is a chance that if you go late March you might be blown out and a trip might be cancelled. I know people that work there and they have had some really rough crossings and time at the atoll and have also had to turn around during the early and later parts of the season. There is no protection there as it is an atoll and open water crossing.

NAD Lembeh good people to dive with and a good vibe as a solo traveler.

GBR is similar to Indo but much less to see for more $.

I would be tempted to go further south in Aus for weedy sea dragons but that’s me.

Ambon is interesting.

I respectfully disagree that GBR is similar to Indo. I find the diving in Indonesia much, much better. My data point is the ribbon reef, Osprey Reef/Coral sea itinerary on the Spirit of Freedom when compared to places like Raja Ampat, Komodo, etc. I also found the diving in the Philippines better (Tubbataha especially, and also Puerto Galera), and in all honesty, the Red Sea was also better, and at a fraction of the cost for the same level of luxury/comfort on a boat. Though, I will give Australia's SS Yongala as an incredibly amazing wreck. That one is definitely a do-not-miss, and agree the weedy sea dragons down south would be incredible!

Big 2nd for NAD - please see my response above to the OP. I loved it, and would return. Excellent op and resort.

Thanks for the advice so far. To answer some of the questions:

1. I like both big and small- large schools of fish, sharks, mantas, turtles. I only recently discovered I like macro as well after I got a decent camera and lights. But I am really bad at spotting critters so my experience tends to be hit or miss depending on if I have a good guide, if not I find very little myself. I don't know the difference between macro and muck?
2. I don't really like wrecks. Not a history person. But if there's good life on the wreck I will still enjoy the dive.
3. I prefer clear visibility, light current, warm water easy diving, but will put up with strong currents/cold waters to see the big stuff. But looking for the easy relaxed dives for ~3 out of 4 weeks.
4. I am thinking of splitting my time in 3 or 4 places. Have not stayed longer than 6 days in one place before and think I'll get bored. But don't want to lose too much time in travel.
5. No time constraints, fully flexible which month I pick. But leaning toward Feb or July/Aug/Sep.
6. Topside is secondary, will do a few tours during rest days but not my primary focus.
7. Good internet and hot water will be ideal, as I will be solo.

If you like large schools of fish and density/color, def try to separate Raja on its own itinerary and don't smash it up with the Banda crossing as I mentioned earlier. Muck is essentially when you have a sandy or bare bottom, macro being the types of subjects (small critters). You can sometimes get macro diving without going muck diving. A great example of this is Puerto Galera; you get both good wide angle reef scene and macro on the same dive, no muck needed for the macro critters. :) There is some cool life on the wrecks in Coron but if you are not huge on it, I would skip this one and try to do the SS Yongala if you go to Australia - the most incredible life on that wreck. It is basically in the middle of nowhere and is the only reef (artificial, as a result of the wreck) in the area so everything has lodged and flocked to it. It's great!

Depending where in the Philippines you go to, you will want to check on whether it is dry/wet season. The regions differ at same time of year. If you stick with that time period, you will miss Tubbataha (see my first reply to your original post).

Reactions: Dan
Stay Raja Ampat: The best Raja Ampat accommodation & travel information source
I know budget is not an issue but this guys will give you flexibility which LoB cannot!

Feb is best to visit Philippines while July to Sept might be affected by typhoon.
Anilao for macro. For me it is more interesting than Lembeh because of the colour.

Derawan Archpelago is GREAT(Derawan, Kakaban, Maratua and Sangalaki). And Sipadan is not that far away. MASwings has regular connection between Tawau and Tarakan.

So many options!

I did book all 3 liveaboards already but can still change as I booked directly with the owner. I am doing a 8 day trip to Raja Ampat North and South in April, and a second 10 day trip to Banda + Raja Ampat South in Oct (Ambon to Sorong). My husband will be joining me on the liveaboards tho so I don't want to re-book.

I really like the sound of Lembeh, I think that one's on the list! Will check out NAD, 2:1 ratio sounds perfect. Looking at flights I have to fly into Manado, should I add on Bunaken? How many days would I need to get a good flavor of the place? A week for just Lembeh? A week and a half for both?

I like Derawan too, was seriously considering it when I was planning my Sipadan trip this year. So this is a full week I presume. With Scubajunkie most likely.

I will count Coron, GBR, PNG, and Palau out then. I think my husband will want to join me on Tubbataha so that will have to wait until year after.

So that leaves maybe a little less than 2 weeks for 1-2 other destinations. If I do Lembeh+Derawan it seems the July-Sept window would be better than Feb. So think that's rainy season for Philippines, and out of whale shark season for South Leyte?

I want to stick with land-based with good internet. What would be the best complement to Lembeh (and maybe Bunaken) + Derawan? Or think that's enough to fill 4 weeks? Can Alor be done land-based?

Back
Top Bottom