Pole spear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just due to the speed of each type of fish,,a hogfish is relatively easy with a proper sized pole spear. Other snappers like muttons and mango's are fast and more difficult to land. But if your can shoot a mango consistently, you can pretty much shoot anything since they are so fast. Practice on the small, tasty and plentiful mangos to sharpen your pole spear & stalking skills.

Yes I agree with the above. You will need to develop excellent stalking skills and make use of quick reaction time, especially for snappers.

You might also consider a speargun. Something like a 100 cm MAKO Predator speargun will be far more effective for most people and the increased range and power will probably result in increased productivity. A gun like that would be under $190 shipped.

Thanks
Dano

Yes I agree with the above. You will need to develop excellent stalking skills and make use of quick reaction time, especially for snappers.

You might also consider a speargun. Something like a 100 cm MAKO Predator speargun will be far more effective for most people and the increased range and power will probably result in increased productivity. A gun like that would be under $190 shipped.

Thanks
Dano
I was considering using Makos travel spear and getting the 3 prong tip for lion fish and using it as a tickle stick for bug also.

No I wouldn’t

@WVScubaSteve
NO!
A pole spear in the hands of a novice such as you is possibly the most destructive weapon ever created and used for taking game.
More fish are wounded by untrained poorly equipped ":divers" using pole spears that the nuts who drown worms
IF you must use a pole spear purchase one from Dano @MAKO Spearguns and chase blue gills around the WV flooded stripper pits for several years until you gained a certain amount of skill and knowledge of fish's reactions to being chased and stuck.
Then practice practice and practice some more on stringing the fish

Then head south to Florida with pole spear, stringer, float and red & white dive flag.

Sam Miller, 111

Back
Top Bottom