Regulator question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken-Tac

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all! I am a new member here and this is my first post. I was looking at purchasing a regulator and wanted some suggestions. I'm looking at the Aqua Lung Calypso with the provided 1st stage or the ScubaPro R195 with the MK2 EVO. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you.

I can't speak to anything Scubapro, but the Calypso is a surprisingly good value even though it is an entry level unbalanced piston. I should qualify that I am speaking of the current version - if you are looking at something used, then that name has been used on various iterations over time that are not all "created equal."

The Calypso WOB (work if breathing) is 1.0 joules/liter, which is really pretty good. Better yet, that is tested at somewhat extreme conditions of 165 ft and 725 psi, so the fact it is unbalanced doesn't mean it will noticeably affect performance.

It is also cold water rated per EU testing standards, even though Aqualung does market it as a cold water regulator. What more could you want for a $300 set? Just be sure to get the Calypso/Titan octo too, and not an ABS octo that is not suitable for cold water.

what type of diving are you planning to do with them now and in the future? both are proven designs backed by brands with a good track record, but don't offer the same level of features as you can find in the same budget price range (at least in the US) for imported regs from taiwan (dive rite, hog, deep 6).

Thank you guys for the fast replies! I am just going to do basic OW dives such as FL springs and reef/ wreck dives. No plans for cold water any time soon.

Thank you guys for the fast replies! I am just going to do basic OW dives such as FL springs and reef/ wreck dives. No plans for cold water any time soon.
Either will serve you well enough, if you leave scubaboard right now and never look again. I would dive either but I wouldn’t buy either.

Lexvil, what would you recommend? Should I maybe step up to at least the Titan?

Titan is the same 2nd stage, but a balanced diaphragm 1st stage. You will lose the ability to someday use it in colder water (under 50°) with the Titan. In general I would always recommend a balanced 1st stage over an unbalanced, but the Calypso performance is so good that the step up is not such an obvious advantage.

Lexvil, what would you recommend? Should I maybe step up to at least the Titan?
Personally I would look at the MK17 or MK25 from scubapro, Atomic Z2, aqualung legend (I don’t really keep up on the model variations) someone will recommend the Deep 6, I have or have had all of these and more, right now I’m using Zeagle F8’s and they are pretty great, easy to maintain and get parts for, if you use any major brand you’ll find maintenance and parts are easy to get but $$$$$ is the business model for most major brands.

Both good quality inexpensive regs that will last a long time. Buy them and dive as much as possible. You can always upgrade as your diving interests change. These will always make good back up regs or pony bottle regs if desired.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom