Most lifetime dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for the delay, I'm out on a dive survey and was out of cell coverage.

The short answer to your question is that he (and I) are research divers for the state doing stock assessment research. We log 400-500 dives a year. He has been doing this for 28+ years.

I also see an error that I deeply apologise for I wrote 20,000 dives, I meant to write 12,000. Still impressive and probably a couple thousand short, but Im pretty sure 20k is too many.

That may be the record in your line of work, unfortunately not the record, if we could even find and verify one.

Larry Smith had 20,000 dives, and probably more

@strumbarn
…. I deeply apologise for I wrote 20,000 dives, I meant to write 12,000. Still impressive and probably a couple thousand short, but Im pretty sure 20k is too many.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As I recall - and you must remember I and just a slow walking, slow talking , even slow thinking broken down diver from SoCal-- Alaska is rather cool -- covered with ice and snow most of the year and in total darkness about half of the year and some how you and or your real or imaginary buddy have managed to perform an astronomical number of dives...in total darkness in a land covered with ice and snow.

Therefore perhaps you can fill in some details
such as
1)What agencies certified him?
2) What level ? Instructor number (S)
3) When did he begin his dive career ?
4) Where did he begin his dive career ?
5) Is he a SSI Pro 5000?
A) When was honor bestowed on him?
B) If not a SSI Pro 5000 - why not ?

A slow walking, slow talking , even slow thinking broken down diver from SoCal would like to know

Sam Miller, III

@ChilyinCanada

@Marie13 CE

@strumbarn
…. I deeply apologize for I wrote 20,000 dives, I meant to write 12,000. Still impressive and probably a couple thousand short, but Im pretty sure 20k is too many.
As I recall - and you must remember I and just a slow walking, slow talking , even slow thinking broken down diver from SoCal-- Alaska is rather cool -- covered with ice and snow most of the year and in total darkness about half of the year and some how you and or your real or imaginary buddy have managed to perform an astronomical number of dives...in total darkness in a land covered with ice and snow.

such as
5) Is he a SSI Pro 5000?

A slow walking, slow talking , even slow thinking broken down diver from SoCal would like to know

Sam Miller, III

@ChilyinCanada

@Marie13 CE

You are quite incorrect with your assessment of the amount of light and the current ground cover in Alaska :wink: it is currently sunny, hot and most of the state is on fire. We've been our assessing red cucumbers and pinto abalone this week.

I understand your interest, and I'm sorry for being flippant, but I don't share other people's (weather real or imagined as you put it) personal info online. I started this thread to gain information that I didn't have before, and I very much appreciate having gotten that, but I'm not going to start giving out info about a person who appreciates their privacy. I would also point out that I have never claimed I have preformed an astronomical number of dives, I'm at about an order of magnitude less than my colleague.

I will say that we are both employed by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game specializing in dive fisheries stock assessment. This mini article written by another diver describes our program: Working Underwater for Fish and Game, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

@strumbarn
…. I deeply apologise for I wrote 20,000 dives, I meant to write 12,000. Still impressive and probably a couple thousand short, but Im pretty sure 20k is too many.

such as
5) Is he a SSI Pro 5000?

Sam Miller, III

@ChilyinCanada

@Marie13 CE

@Sam Miller III, take a break please.

@strumbarn, please cut Sam a little slack. He gets quite passionate/excited about scuba history, etc. And his sense of humour can be a bit quirky

Captain Slate claims to have well over 12,000 dives during the past 50 years.

Captain Slate Biography

Sorry, a little late to this thread but I saw this particular post and it brought back memories... Captain Slate's Creature Feature was the very first ocean dive for my wife and I after we got certified. I have some great video of him handling a huge green Moray eel and of him placing a nurse shark in my wife's arms where she, with no training or prior instruction, turned it upside down and proceeded to rub its belly! I almost spit out my regulator!

Anyway, don't mean to derail... back to the action!

@Sam Miller III, take a break please.

@strumbarn, please cut Sam a little slack. He gets quite passionate/excited about scuba history, etc. And his sense of humour can be a bit quirky

This has nothing to do with SCUBA history. @strumbarn said…. I deeply apologize, and SAM took it as a threat to the number of dives he has credited to himself with.

This has nothing to do with SCUBA history. @strumbarn said…. I deeply apologize, and SAM took it as a threat to the number of dives he has credited to himself with.

LET IT GO

Back
Top Bottom