SI-Tech Virgo question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is version of the Si-Tech Virgo system that comes with the PU ring as a complete installation kit without needing to purchase and install a separate cuff system?

My wife just received a custom suit she ordered. We asked for the Si-Tech QCS Oval system along with the Virgo dryglove system. What we received was the Virgo system pre-installed in the suit....but the rigid oval ring of the QCS Oval system was absent.

When I questioned the shop owner he said that the company that made the suit installed the "complete Virgo system" and the oval system is the Antares.

I am familiar with the 2 dryglove systems but my understanding was that the Virgo just replaces the rigid oval ring of the QCS Oval system.

Would like to know if Si-tech is selling the Virgo system to drysuit makers as an installation kit or if we should press the shop owner to find out what happened to the rigid oval rings.

-Z

Not sure if this is what you need but...
I bought both of my Seaskin suits with the oval rings, tried antaries and decided if I wanted to dive with wet hands using wet gloves is easier.

I bought the Virgo system and it came with two main parts, the base that holds the wrist seal and has the lock ring and the outer piece that you attach the glove to using one of the 3 glove rings to attack the glove to the outer part, the outer part is locked to the inner part and other than the bulk has been perfect.

The same part for the oval stiff ring is glued to the suit sleeve and can take either system, that part was put on my suit at the factory and didn’t come with the Virgo.

Reactions: Zef
My wife just received a custom suit she ordered. We asked for the Si-Tech QCS Oval system along with the Virgo dryglove system. What we received was the Virgo system pre-installed in the suit....but the rigid oval ring of the QCS Oval system was absent.
What would you want it for?

My first trilam came with the QCS oval rings. When I installed Antares on it, I had to swap the QCS oval rings with the Antares suit-side rings and put the QCS rings in a drawer somewhere. When I switched to Ultima I still had no use for the original QCS rings.

Good question.

I wanted them in case she did not like the Virgo system or did not want to use it when diving in warm water.

The Virgo system is designed with parts from the Glove Lock dry glove system....same colored rings and the diameter of the system is the same except the blue part that sandwiches the wrist seal wiht the ring glued into the end of the arm of the suit.

One can dive with wet gloves or no gloves with the Virgo but they are bulky, especially for a woman who is 157cm (5' 2")tall...it would be nice if she had the option to install the oval rings and take advantage of the lower profile they offer.

We went with a drysuit because the water temp here never really gets all that "comfortably" warm for her in the summer...most folk here dive with a 7+mm suit and the accompanying extra lead needed to submerge, we wanted her to have the warmth of a thicker suit but the extra lead presents a safety concern in my view; diving with a drysuit she will still need the lead but the suit provides a redundant source of buoyancy, which address both the safety concern and the comfort concern.

My understanding of the development of the QCS oval system is that Si-Tech made a running change in the design the of the hard oval rings to accept the Antares dry glove system and for those with the older oval rings that predated the change, use of the Antares system required buying the new oval rings. The QCS oval setup,since the design change, comes standard with the Antares compatible rings.

If your rings are just collecting dust, any chance you would care to part with them?

-Z

VIRGO - Dry Gloves Solutions - Products - SI-TECH shows there are two models, one of which is the Virgo system and the pickup ring that goes in the drysuit.

Thanks....I had not seen that when looking at Si-Techs website in the past. This confirms what the shop owner was telling me.

Unfortunately no matter how I explain what we asked for, QCS Oval system + Virgo....in his head there is the Antares oval system and the Virgo system....he does not get that the two use the same suit side ring as a base so every time I discuss the oval system he instantly thinks of the complete "Antares" system.

It is frustrating that we did not get exactly what we ordered but it is also good to know that what was installed is technically correct and that the rigid oval rings are not missing.

-Z

If your rings are just collecting dust, any chance you would care to part with them?
Sorry, I've already parted with them. They went back on the suit before I sold it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom