South Florida help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Read in the same voice as my favorite stooge: “Soitenly!”

Hi @gr8jab

I've been diving the area year round for about 10 years. I mostly use Underwater Explorers, Loggerhead, and Starfish out of Boynton, Narcosis out of West Palm, and Jupiter Dive Center out of Jupiter. It's good to be able to get out of all three inlets, Boynton the hardest, West Palm the easiest, in high seas

Whether you end up in SE FL or the Keys, have a great trip

So here's the perspective of someone who used to live in South Florida but no longer does.....

If I'm visiting family or friends in Palm Beach or Broward County, I am quite happy diving in those areas when I have an open morning with no other commitments. Jupiter Dive Center is still one of my favorite operators

However, if I'm taking a dive vacation where the focus is diving and not fitting it in between family/friend obligations, I go to the Keys. Its easy to get 4 or even 5 dives (with night dive in) per day and the overall vibe of the Keys is incredibly relaxing to me. Its hard to beat Rainbow Reefs dive/hotel combo. I also really like Conch Republic and Quiescence.

Another option you might consider is a trip on the Juliet (Juliet Sailing and Diving) out of Miami to the Bahamas. I've taken the trip twice in the past and am doing so again next month. You'll get 18-20 dives in a week with room and board paid. If you do the math, its cheaper than the same number of dives in the Keys or S Florida once you include hotel and food in the trip cost.

However, if I'm taking a dive vacation where the focus is diving and not fitting it in between family/friend obligations, I go to the Keys. Its easy to get 4 or even 5 dives (with night dive in) per day and the overall vibe of the Keys is incredibly relaxing to me. Its hard to beat Rainbow Reefs dive/hotel combo. I also really like Conch Republic and Quiescence.

As much as I want to dive along southern coast, most places that everyone has recommended seem to have one boat per day, occasionally two on the weekend. Since I'm solo and only worrying about diving, I am leaning toward Key Largo for the exact reason you said... more dives per day.

Another option you might consider is a trip on the Juliet (Juliet Sailing and Diving) out of Miami to the Bahamas. .

I would LOVE to do this!! Unfortunately I get motion sickness enough that I don't think I would enjoy a liveaboard.

As much as I want to dive along southern coast, most places that everyone has recommended seem to have one boat per day, occasionally two on the weekend. Since I'm solo and only worrying about diving, I am leaning toward Key Largo for the exact reason you said... more dives per day.

Good point and I wasn't thinking about that. Key Largo probably is the best fit for you on this trip.

@The Chairman Do you know where I can rent a pony tank somewhere between Ft Lauderdale and Key Largo.

@The Chairman ...where I can rent a pony tank ....Key Largo.

Silent World in Largo has pony's. But best to check if you are restricted to use them on there boats and not offsite. Sizes, valves, & mixes vary (ie you're probably not getting a washout pony without certs)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom