Navigation app

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LunaBuna

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Diving on the east and west coast of Florida and using an app on my phone so that i can keep track of spots even when it's not my boat, I've used a lot of different apps to navigation and tracking. What is your favorite app for this?

I've been using Navionics the past 2 seasons in NY when diving off my boat. Works fine, generally more accurate and informative for finding wrecks than entering GPS headings into the Garmin from fishing,diving and public GPS data websites; however when I took the boat up to the Adirondacks and boated in a few lakes last week it was unable to plot courses because it "thought" the water wasn't deep enough. Still quite useful for finding my way around the lakes though, even without a plotted course. Much better than the Garmin chartplotter.

When I rotate the iphone so the screen is landscape the Navionics app does not display it's dashboard showing speed, so I need to use a split screen on my Garmin rather than using the entire screen to view the sonar.

I put the 2 issues into tech support for Navionics and received a confirmation email "we will get back to you shortly" but they haven't responded- it's been just under a week and I'm a paying customer- it's a yearly subscription as of this year, before that it was a $10 one time purchase/download.

so that i can keep track of spots even when it's not my boat,
FYI, Stealing people's spots is generally frowned upon and would result in not getting another invite. I would ask before secretly stealing someone's spot.

FYI, Stealing people's spots is generally frowned upon and would result in not getting another invite. I would ask before secretly stealing someone's spot.

I recall diving off a charter boat up here in NY, the captain would say if he saw anyone using a GPS enabled device it would be tossed over the side.

I use iSailor on iPhone and iPad. I wanted the detailed charts they were like 10$ I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom