Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raquelloves2Scuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I've found helpful info on this GREAT site before but never set up a profile. Looking for a dive trip in mid to end of Oct for 8-10 nights including travel from LAX. Interested in Philippines, Palau, Tahiti as we have never gone, also dove Fiji and it was great. Finding direct flights from LA will reduce some of the journey time and then obv we will need connecting flights from there. We are open to a live aboard but also want to be able to relax without 100% diving (mostly per my other half's taste) and wifi is a concern. So a nice hotel with access to great diving is also an option. We have a special needs son and a business so we need to be reachable or at least able to check in morning and night. The idea of completely unplugging is VERY appealing but not quite something that could be our reality right now. ;-). We've done about 100 dives in Hawaii, California, Aruba, Bonaire, Grand Cayman, Little Cayman, Riviera Maya, Cenotes, Cozumel, Fiji, Bali, Turks & Caicos. Ideally we would like to go somewhere new. Anyone have a great idea or know of a trip that needs to fill some spots?! Thanks for your generous advice!

For 8-10 night and flying out of LAX, I would strongly consider the Philippines. Philippine Airlines has non stop/direct flight to Manila from LAX.
My wife and I just did this trip in April flying out of Seattle with EVA airlines. From LAX on Philippine Airlines is the way to go.

This is a very lengthy post, but you will find it helpful if you decide to go to the Philippines:
Trip Report-Philippines-Puerto Galera-El Galleon/Asia Divers-April 1-14, 2019

Feel free to ask any questions. We booked everything but the flights through Blue Water Dive Travel (also based in Los Angeles).
Bluewater Dive Travel | Scuba diving travel agency - Book Liveaboards and Resorts

Trailboss123, thanks so much for your suggestion. We really LOVE the idea of Indonesia but the travel time to get there is killing us. Thanks so much for your suggestion. This could save us precious time. Quick ?, do you hear that Oct IS NOT a good time to dive Philippines? I see that their peak season is Jan-May. I know June-Aug is their typhoon season. Are we risking a good trip by trying to go there in October?

New Trailboss123, thanks so much for your suggestion. We really LOVE the idea of Indonesia but the travel time to get there is killing us. Thanks so much for your suggestion. This could save us precious time. Quick ?, do you hear that Oct IS NOT a good time to dive Philippines? I see that their peak season is Jan-May. I know June-Aug is their typhoon season. Are we risking a good trip by trying to go there in October?
For 8-10 night and flying out of LAX, I would strongly consider the Philippines. Philippine Airlines has non stop/direct flight to Manila from LAX.
My wife and I just did this trip in April flying out of Seattle with EVA airlines. From LAX on Philippine Airlines is the way to go.

This is a very lengthy post, but you will find it helpful if you decide to go to the Philippines:
Trip Report-Philippines-Puerto Galera-El Galleon/Asia Divers-April 1-14, 2019

Feel free to ask any questions. We booked everything but the flights through Blue Water Dive Travel (also based in Los Angeles).
Bluewater Dive Travel | Scuba diving travel agency - Book Liveaboards and Resorts

By the way Trailboss, thanks for the suggestion on BlueWaterTravel, I see that I had sent them an inquiry about another liveaboard they have in Indonesia, thanks for the vote of confidence. Finding a good operator is just as important as the destination. Thank you!

New Trailboss123, thanks so much for your suggestion. We really LOVE the idea of Indonesia but the travel time to get there is killing us. Thanks so much for your suggestion. This could save us precious time. Quick ?, do you hear that Oct IS NOT a good time to dive Philippines? I see that their peak season is Jan-May. I know June-Aug is their typhoon season. Are we risking a good trip by trying to go there in October?
I would check with Bluewater on the late October timeframe. It seems to me like it would be good. Kind of a shoulder season. I will check with my peeps at El Galleon and report back.

Just checked and got a quick response back from Jamie (He is the executive chef at El Galleon and also one of the Instructors and dive guides) - he said:

"Hi mate, the weather can be windy with rain in the late afternoon but the diving is excellent with 30 degree water and great vis."

So, I wouldn't hesitate and I am half inclined to join you guys :)
Although, I am doing an entire month in Bonaire next month: August 3 to September 1.

I would check with Bluewater on the late October timeframe. It seems to me like it would be good. Kind of a shoulder season. I will check with my peeps at El Galleon and report back.

Just checked and got a quick response back from Jamie (He is the executive chef at El Galleon and also one of the Instructors and dive guides) - he said:

"Hi mate, the weather can be windy with rain in the late afternoon but the diving is excellent with 30 degree water and great vis."

So, I wouldn't hesitate and I am half inclined to join you guys :)
Although, I am doing an entire month in Bonaire next month: August 3 to September 1.

Trailboss123, Bonaire, yes, jealous and you are clearly a smart diver. One of our favorite dive sites EVER is: Salt Pier at Bonaire. I suggest a night dive there, epic! And of course, the day diving there is amazing too. I have never EVER seen so many eels. We were there 5 years ago and they told us something about a lot of eels being wiped out and then being "reborn" so that's why we saw so many small ones. We never investigated this, lol?! We also ATE lionfish there. Very tasty and they are actively on the prowl for the over abundant lion fish. You may already know all I have typed but happy to share a great memory of our diving with you. Thanks for your help!

Trailboss123, Bonaire, yes, jealous and you are clearly a smart diver. One of our favorite dive sites EVER is: Salt Pier at Bonaire. I suggest a night dive there, epic! And of course, the day diving there is amazing too. I have never EVER seen so many eels. We were there 5 years ago and they told us something about a lot of eels being wiped out and then being "reborn" so that's why we saw so many small ones. We never investigated this, lol?! We also ATE lionfish there. Very tasty and they are actively on the prowl for the over abundant lion fish. You may already know all I have typed but happy to share a great memory of our diving with you. Thanks for your help!
Thanks for that and yes, I am a multi-time Bonaire visitor and never get tired of going there. First 1/2 of this video is from there-- - the rest has some So Cal, Channel Islands, Belize, Roatan, kids, grandkids and Oregon. LOL! All in 2018.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom