"Off the beaten path" sites worth visiting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hroark2112

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Heading back to the island in October for visit #9. I've done most of the usual suspects of 'cool sites', from the Lighthouse up to Karpata. I've done Cai several times with Bas (hope to do it again this trip!!), wandered up to Nukove on my first trip, I'm sure there are sites that are not often dove but are worth the time.

I've never done any of the sites up in the park, the reviews seem to be mixed on whether it is worth the trip or not. I always look out for favorable conditions to do the Lighhouse dive again or maybe White Hole.

Anyone else planning on being there 10/5-10/12? We'll be there for Tek Week at Buddy.

Heading back to the island in October for visit #9. I've done most of the usual suspects of 'cool sites', from the Lighthouse up to Karpata. I've done Cai several times with Bas (hope to do it again this trip!!), wandered up to Nukove on my first trip, I'm sure there are sites that are not often dove but are worth the time.

I've never done any of the sites up in the park, the reviews seem to be mixed on whether it is worth the trip or not. I always look out for favorable conditions to do the Lighhouse dive again or maybe White Hole.

Anyone else planning on being there 10/5-10/12? We'll be there for Tek Week at Buddy.
I won't be there during your dates, unfortunately. I will be there all of next month. 8/3 to 9/1. I am not the biggest fan of heading up into the national park to dive considering the time, effort and cost of getting there versus the payoff -- however, given the amount of times you have been to Bonaire and all of the spots you have already dived; you should definitely consider it. For a first or 2nd timer, I wouldn't even consider it-- but given your resume-- you definitely should. If for no other reason, it will be completely new and it is definitely a different experience.

I did very much enjoy my dives at Wayaka I and II. Easy entry and exit. I have friends that really enjoyed Boka Bartol- but I haven't dived there personally. I have mixed emotions about Boka Slagbaai. The beach there is absolutely incredible, probably the best on Bonaire and worth hanging out at on an off-gassing day with a nice picnic lunch and a snorkel. If not for the fact that we fortunately ran into a massive bait ball there, the diving itself was pretty much unremarkable and not worth the trip for that sole purpose.

There are some sites prior to Nukove that are unmarked-- Like Candyland, which I love. Not sure if you have done any of those. Similar topography to Karpata. Also, I am sure you have dived there, but I mention it because many people pass it over, but The Lake is an awesome dive site on the south end.

Candyland is on my list, I’ve heard it is easier to find than Nukove!

The Lake is a great site. Start of the double reef, it will be on the list if possible sites.

One thing I’ve learned about diving the island is that I never go out to dive expecting to hit certain sites on a given day. I just load the rebreather in the truck, load up with frozen water for drinking and warm water for rinsing, and pick north or south. From there I pick the sites with no one there if possible. The sites I prefer in the south are usually empty or have one group there. If I want to do the Hooker, I’ll aim for first thing in the morning before the masses get there!

Candyland is on my list, I’ve heard it is easier to find than Nukove!

The Lake is a great site. Start of the double reef, it will be on the list if possible sites.

One thing I’ve learned about diving the island is that I never go out to dive expecting to hit certain sites on a given day. I just load the rebreather in the truck, load up with frozen water for drinking and warm water for rinsing, and pick north or south. From there I pick the sites with no one there if possible. The sites I prefer in the south are usually empty or have one group there. If I want to do the Hooker, I’ll aim for first thing in the morning before the masses get there!
That is a great approach!
Not sure if Candyland is easier to find than Nukove, personally. Nukove does have a yellow painted rock marking the dive site. Candyland is pretty easy to find though. After you do the big loop around BOPEC and are back down at the shoreline heading toward Nukove, it is immediately going to come up on your left. Look for a big stack of rocks piled up high. That is your signal to stop and look for an appropriate place to park. After parking, go scope things out for best entry/exit and then gear up and go for it. Chances of anyone else being there when you are will be slim. I have yet to encounter anyone else there.

Candyland was a favorite site of a friend of mine, somewhere down there is a memorial plaque that I want to look for.

Boka bartol and playa benge are definitely in my top dive sites of Bonaire. Candyland/Taylormade past Bopec as well.

Im living here so if it fits my schedule, I may go there some time again. Just check my website please :wink:

We did a Park trip when we were there in April...Playa Benge was just kind of "meh" so we came out of the park for the second tank and hit Carel's Vision-that was much better than Benge IMO. We didn't do Candyland & Taylormade, but a few of the people we were there with loved them both, and Jeff Davis too IIRC.

I love Jeff Davis! One of my absolute favorites especially solo CCR.

Been diving Bonaire for 19 years and have never dove Jeff Davis.....I'd be interested in knowing why its your fav....thanks in advance..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom