Best Dive Destination from Los Angeles 8-10 Nights including Travel

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raquelloves2Scuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I've found helpful info on this GREAT site before but never set up a profile. Looking for a dive trip in mid to end of Oct for 8-10 nights including travel from LA. Interested in Philippines, Palau, Tahiti as we have never gone, also dove Fiji and it was great. Finding direct flights from LA will reduce some of the journey time and then obv we will need connecting flights from there. We are open to a live aboard but also want to be able to relax without 100% diving (mostly per my other half's taste) and wifi is a concern. So a nice hotel with access to great diving is also an option. We have a special needs son and a business so we need to be reachable or at least able to check in morning and night. The idea of completely unplugging is VERY appealing but not quite something that could be our reality right now. ;-). We've done about 100 dives in Hawaii, California, Aruba, Bonaire, Grand Cayman, Little Cayman, Riviera Maya, Cenotes, Cozumel, Fiji, Bali, Turks & Caicos. Ideally we would like to go somewhere new. Anyone have a great idea or know of a trip that needs to fill some spots?! Thanks for your generous advice!

I voted for Philippines but that is because it is the only place I've been out of the four. Really great place. There are so many different places you can go in the Philippines. So to just say Philippines is like saying just going to the Caribbean. There is Anilao, Puerto Galera, El Nido, Coron, Cebu, Bohol, Southern Leyte, Dauin, etc.

I've been to Malapascua Island. They had Thresher Shark (which is what they are famous for) but they also had reef shark, turtles, pygmy seahorse, nudibranch, tonnes of different fish, etc.

My next trip is probably going to be Puerto Galera or Dauin. From many places, they often have day trips to other places. For example, Apo Island is reachable from Dauin.

Have you looked into the flights from the US to Palau? I loved Palau, but we had to go SFO>HNL>Guam>Palau. The travel time was a pain. I've been to all the destinations you listed--French Polynesia I've been to three times, and unless you go to Rangiroa or Fakarava, don't count on the diving being great. Fiji, I've only been to twice, and both times to Taveuni area. I loved Rainbow Reef, but there's not much of a swimming beach in the area that I can recall. Lots of beautiful scenery for hiking. Philippines, I've only been to Palawan area (Pamalican, El Nido, and Coron), and I enjoyed the diving. Topside it's beautiful. My vote would be for Palau. We stayed at PPR (my SO does not dive) and that was a really great place for us. Nice beach, good facilities, although the boat rides to the dive site took a little longer, but I can't complain since my partner never complains about me being gone.

Have you looked into the flights from the US to Palau? I loved Palau, but we had to go SFO>HNL>Guam>Palau. The travel time was a pain. I've been to all the destinations you listed--French Polynesia I've been to three times, and unless you go to Rangiroa or Fakarava, don't count on the diving being great. Fiji, I've only been to twice, and both times to Taveuni area. I loved Rainbow Reef, but there's not much of a swimming beach in the area that I can recall. Lots of beautiful scenery for hiking. Philippines, I've only been to Palawan area (Pamalican, El Nido, and Coron), and I enjoyed the diving. Topside it's beautiful. My vote would be for Palau. We stayed at PPR (my SO does not dive) and that was a really great place for us. Nice beach, good facilities, although the boat rides to the dive site took a little longer, but I can't complain since my partner never complains about me being gone.
Yes, we were really interested in a trip there but you are RIGHT about the travel time being a pain. We need to keep to a max of 10 days away (including travel time) so I think that makes Palau a bit harder given the journey time. I think we are favoring Philippines since we haven't been there yet and there is a direct flight between LAX and Manila. I feel for you on the SO who doesn't dive. I"m lucky that mine dives but not as much as I like to. So having a hotel homebase with other options is always nice for him too. Thanks for your advice!

If you decide to go to Philippines I'd say to avoid El Nido. It has been getting more and more touristy in the last two years. Prices are going up, accommodations aren't getting better and there isn't a lot to do other than water sports and scuba diving. A better place for good diving and surface intervals would be Puerto Galera. You'd fly into Manila then take a car down to Batangas. From there it is a ferry ride over to Puerto Galera. There is a lot of stuff right at Sabang beach.

Another place I'm considering is Dauin. I have been to Dumaguete and it is a really nice place for surface interval. I've heard good things about Dauin. It is only 30 minutes south of Dumaguete. So the diving is good there and you can pop up to Dumaguete or surrounding area for stuff to do between dives. Additionally, there are scuba day trips from Dauin to other places in the area. All the dive shops will have such day trips. I'm planning on going there in December.

I voted Tahiti purely because you have a direct flight from LAX to Papeete which is your stepping off point to some of the words best diving especially if you like big stuff sharks Rays etc with onward flights to other parts of French Polynesia.

The Tuomotos deserve every bit of the reputation of holding a high standard as they do. Rangiroa and UNESCO listed Fakarava and atoll passes so drift diving yay.

The societies - Tahiti, Moorea (My pick of topside islands) Raiatea, Bora Bora diving didn't really impress me but it's a seriously beautiful part of the world.

October might also be a good time for Bali. Relatively easy to get to (one stop) from LAX, if Indonesia was not on your radar. Many, many nice places to stay at (including super fancy or just fancier at budget friendly costs), you can stay connected no problem, and lots to do on land for the whole family should you decide you don't want to dive. Out of the locations you asked about, I've been to Tahiti and Philippines. I'd suggest Bali over those. It's quite kid friendly. :)

:rofl3::rofl3:@scubadiver888 - there certainly is a lot happening in Sabang at night, I'm not sure I'd call it a family friendly lot happening though

If you decide to go to Philippines I'd say to avoid El Nido. It has been getting more and more touristy in the last two years. Prices are going up, accommodations aren't getting better and there isn't a lot to do other than water sports and scuba diving. A better place for good diving and surface intervals would be Puerto Galera. You'd fly into Manila then take a car down to Batangas. From there it is a ferry ride over to Puerto Galera. There is a lot of stuff right at Sabang beach.

Another place I'm considering is Dauin. I have been to Dumaguete and it is a really nice place for surface interval. I've heard good things about Dauin. It is only 30 minutes south of Dumaguete. So the diving is good there and you can pop up to Dumaguete or surrounding area for stuff to do between dives. Additionally, there are scuba day trips from Dauin to other places in the area. All the dive shops will have such day trips. I'm planning on going there in December.

The OP messaged me privately asking about the Philippines and I also steered her away from El Nido/Coron because of the transit time more so in El Nido but because she only has 10 days and inclusive of travel and the quality of diving was better overall (reef/macro) in Puerto Galera. El Nido transit kills practically an entire day just transiting from Puerto Princesa by private van. I also suggested Puerto Galera for quality of diving and convenience of getting to/from with the limited amount of time they have, though I did not realize at the time she has a young child. Topside, there is stuff to see/do as an adult but probably not as fun for a kid, to @Wingy 's point. They also come back between all dives so should anyone not want to dive, it's not a huge commitment to go out or you can easily hop on the next dive out.

I did not suggest the Visayas since I know travel in the Visayas is not always easy or the fastest/most efficient, but I imagine it would probably be more entertaining for a young child topside than Puerto Galera.

Actually with a young child - French Polynesia presents its own problems. There's zero to do a child in the Tuomotos and not a lot other than a tour round the island, ATV and horseback riding which is very much dependant on how old the child is in the Societies.

Back
Top Bottom