Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone try patching a pinhole in their 720's? When I used the 460/660/620/490 gloves I would use PVC cement. Worked great. Wondering if there is something that works as good on the nitrile gloves. Super glue?

I've had success using thinned aquaseal on the inside of the 720's, but that's not as 'quick' as the PVC cement trick on the other gloves.

Nope. At $7 a pair, I just replace mine every 50 dives or so... Holed or not.

Reactions: Zef
Anyone try patching a pinhole in their 720's? When I used the 460/660/620/490 gloves I would use PVC cement. Worked great. Wondering if there is something that works as good on the nitrile gloves. Super glue?

I've had success using thinned aquaseal on the inside of the 720's, but that's not as 'quick' as the PVC cement trick on the other gloves.

My mentality is that if I am wearing drygloves it is because the water is cold. I would not want to risk a field repair possibly not holding and remain watertight when for relatively little cost (@ $7/pair) I can carry a spare set of 720s in my save-a-dive kit along with an extra set of liner gloves. I could probably change the complete glove out in the time it takes to prep, apply glue, and let the glue dry...but the reality though is that in the winter I am typically only doing one dive on any given day so I would just either tough out the wet hand(s) or end the dive early and just swap in a new set of gloves when I arrive back home.

I received my 720 sample set from Showa last autumn , I dive nearly once a week if not more, and I have not had the need to swap them out yet.

-Z

upload_2019-7-11_20-41-20.jpeg

OK, so what’s the trick to getting the Ultima gloves to lock on by yourself? I’ve done myself at home a few times, but when I’m on the boat or at the quarry with dive buddies waiting, plus I’m broiling in my suit, it’s easier for everyone if I ask for help. And saves everyone’s ears from me cursing a blue streak out of frustration

I’d much rather do it myself.

To get them off, I just keep the red tool in my mask box.

One thing I've learned, at least on my pair, is if you don't hear them click, do it again, cause you didn't get them on right. I learned this the hard way with leaks.

One thing I've learned, at least on my pair, is if you don't hear them click, do it again, cause you didn't get them on right. I learned this the hard way with leaks.

I have never really heard mine "click"...mine positively go together but there is not much of a click. Have not had any problems with leaks (knock on wood) and they are typically a bear to pry apart so I am positive they are attached properly but no real audible click.

I wonder if I would get the "click" if I pushed the glove rings on faster/harder.

-Z

“One thing I've learned, at least on my pair, is if you don't hear them click, do it again, cause you didn't get them on right. I learned this the hard way with leaks.”

I agree with this totally, I have had occasions where a glove would leak one day and not another. I usually run o2 tubing to vent, a heater chord, and thick undergloves.
If it doesn’t click, I do it again. I have eliminated leaking one day and not the other.
I also will clean the suit rings with a toothbrush, pull the orings, clean and lube, and clean the glove rings with qtips. It may be overkill but I’ve been much happier and drier since following this routine.

Absolutely, mine snap/click into place. I imagine it’s the oring decompressing into the suit oring.

Back
Top Bottom