Which snare/bag for lobster/lion fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’ll be in Palm Coast the first week of August to snare some lobster and lion fish. Plan on going further south but not sure where to catch them or which snare and bag would be the best. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I’ll be in Palm Coast the first week of August to snare some lobster and lion fish. Plan on going further south but not sure where to catch them or which snare and bag would be the best. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure how you define the first week of August but keep in mind that regular Lobster season starts the 6th (Tuesday), You'll need a fishing license with a lobster stamp.

For the lionfish there's no season or license required but I'm not sure a snare is the proper tool to get them. Also I'd be careful with what bag you use to put the lionfish in.
For lobster a pillow case will do the job. Not fancy and not what people generally use, but will safely hold several bugs, I've seen it.

With lionfish think painful long spines. Stabbing them with a spear may be better than a using a snare, after you have them in your control is a good idea to put them where the spines won't get you, if you want a "bag", maybe one made of Kevlar ?

As far as locations, that's tricky. I've never met a person that would disclose their hunting location unless is already public knowledge. There's good chance you can find some in any reef, just go slow and don't look for a lobster, look for an antenna or two, at night look for the eyes.

It's difficult to find a lionfish large enough to provide dinner, unless you want to clean 10 of them. Just shoot and release, something down there will eat them.

There are not that many lionfish around. What you may consider is the use of shears to snip the spines underwater and then you can safely mix the fish with lobsters in a mesh lobster bag. It is slower to snip underwater but it eliminates the need to carry a dedicated lionfish containment device.

the very large lion fish are at the deeper depths or off the beaten track....

the very large lion fish are at the deeper depths or off the beaten track....

Yes, unfortunately lionfish are very present

My experience also..the regularly traveled reefs and wrecks don't have many at all, but go deep or off the beaten path and you'll find them. I used to give them a haircut under water until I saw someone get stuck..didn't look fun at all. If I didn't already have a zookeeper I'd go for something like this dual-purpose (lions and bugs oh my) looking hotel. Just be careful. Would be a good idea to bring hot packs in case you get stuck...but don't do that.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Lionfish-Hotel-p/mlfh.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom