Stiffness in 2nd stage adjustments, normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aviator8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a couple sets of the Deep 6 single tank setups. I recently did a trip and dove them a half dozen times each in salt water. I noticed on vacation that the flow adjustment knob and predive selector both became quite stiff to move after the first couple dives. I rinsed after each dive, and after returning home did a really thorough soak and rinse moving the predive lever and flow adjustment knob repeatedly. It did begin to loosen up some after working them many times but never returned to their ease of movement before they were dove. Is this normal, or does something in here need some Christolube? I ask this after reading a recent post on SB about a damage barrel and adjustment knob on a different manufactures second stage. These were very stiff after a few dives and I don't want them to freeze up over time to the point that movement could cause damage. I do understand that the thought on the other thread is that it was physical damage due to an unseen drop, or crush affect which is not the case here. Anyway I just wanted to get others take or experiences with stiffness in their Deep6 adjustments.

I wouldn't use christolube in those threads. A bit of dow 111, but the big one is that during rinsing and soaking immediately after the dive that you move all of the moving parts to make sure the salt doesn't dry up

Mine were a little bit stiff after 2 years and probably 50 or so dives.They just came back from being serviced and are wonderful again.

Easy to get salt forced into the threads. A simple dunk or quick rinse will not get it out. You need a good soak and work the knob while soaking.

I agree with tbone, I Dow 111 the hell out of that particular part.

I may pick up some Dow 111, buy I think is will just do another soak and move on the dive selector. I just checked them again and the Breathing adjustment is not bad but the dive selector is. The schematics show I'd have to disassemble the second stage to get to the areas to lube them. Not having taken the service class yet I think I'll wait on doing that.

So, I have a similar problem - my predive/venturi selector lever is hard to move (the adjustment knob works ok). I'm very religious about cleaning my gear after every dive and I soaked the regulators in warm water last night, but the lever is still hard to move. I have noticed that if I loosen the heat sink nut (item 27 on the schematics), the lever is much easier to move. However, when I attach a hose and tighten it down, doing so also tightens the heat sing nut, which in turn makes the predive/venturi selector lever hard to move.

I have a friend who just received new second stages, and I noticed the heat sink nut is tight but the predive/venturi selector lever moves smooth and easily.

Given I don't have a problem with the adjustment knob, I think aviator8 is looking at two different problems. I don't know, but I'm assuming tbone and fmerkel's recommendation would help with the adjustment knob, but not the lever.

Thanks for the help!

So, I have a similar problem - my predive/venturi selector lever is hard to move (the adjustment knob works ok). I'm very religious about cleaning my gear after every dive and I soaked the regulators in warm water last night, but the lever is still hard to move. I have noticed that if I loosen the heat sink nut (item 27 on the schematics), the lever is much easier to move. However, when I attach a hose and tighten it down, doing so also tightens the heat sing nut, which in turn makes the predive/venturi selector lever hard to move.

I have a friend who just received new second stages, and I noticed the heat sink nut is tight but the predive/venturi selector lever moves smooth and easily.

Given I don't have a problem with the adjustment knob, I think aviator8 is looking at two different problems. I don't know, but I'm assuming tbone and fmerkel's recommendation would help with the adjustment knob, but not the lever.

Thanks for the help!

Yes it would be two different things. Both adjustments stiffened up after the first few dives. When I rinse my gear, and I do it immediately after every dive I make sure to move each lever, button, swivel, swivel, valve, etc. in my gear as I am rinsing. Then when home I do a throughout soak then rinse doing the same. The pre dive selector has remained stiff though, not quite as bad as it was before but still stiffer to move than it was out of the box. It is hard to quantify the change as it is a feeling but If I had to say it is 50% harder to move than it was new. On the adjustment knob it is maybe 20% stiffer so not really big deal, just noticeably stiffer. Everything is fine and completely workable, am only asking because I don't want this to progress to being so hard to move that it causes some stress damage. If everyone says they expeience the stiffness and it never went further its normal, that's cool too.

The pre dive selector has remained stiff though, not quite as bad as it was before but still stiffer to move than it was out of the box. It is hard to quantify the change as it is a feeling but If I had to say it is 50% harder to move than it was new. Everything is fine and completely workable, am only asking because I don't want this to progress to being so hard to move that it causes some stress damage.

That's about right for me too, although I am starting to get concerned about stress damage because it's so hard to move the lever. Hopefully we'll here from Chris or Landon shortly and they can recommend how to solve it. I'm wondering/hoping that all we need to do is lube an o-ring or something...

@aviator8 where in Georgia are you? Deep6 is just south of Atlanta if it's not too inconvenient. I'm sure you could schedule some time with them to show you

@aviator8 where in Georgia are you? Deep6 is just south of Atlanta if it's not too inconvenient. I'm sure you could schedule some time with them to show you
Yep I plan to take their reg servicing class in the future, just not yet. They are about 2 hours from me if Atlanta wasn't there. Add in that madhouse and no telling how long it takes to get there, between 2 and 7 hours :wink:

Back
Top Bottom