Brand New -- Got Some, Need Some

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pittsburgh_Mom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone! I am pretty much brand new to the diving world. I've done lots of snorkeling, some SNUBA, and open water SCUBA once with an instructor. I am partway through the online coursework for my NAUI certification, and I start my pool lessons in about two weeks.

I'm required to get (and excited to!) get the basics: fins, mask, booties, and snorkel. Someone told me I can just borrow their snorkel for pool classes because after I get my cert, "I'll never need it again." Is this true...? If this is not true, can someone please suggest some good snorkels? I got the Scubapro Crystal VU-Plus Mask with Purge.

Also, does anyone have the Scuba Pro Seawing Nova Open Heel Fins? I have no idea what booties to get. Ones that zipper, I am told. Should they be high or low cut? If the soles are harder, does that make it harder to kick in the fin?

Sorry to be so very basic, and thank you in advance. :)

A snorkel will come in handy during a surface swim. Some purchase folding ones and place in their BC pocket. If you doubt you’ll ever do a surface swim, forgo it.

Your best bet is to visit your local Dive shop and try on different equipment.

A snorkel will come in handy during a surface swim. Some purchase folding ones and place in their BC pocket. If you doubt you’ll ever do a surface swim, forgo it.

Your best bet is to visit your local Dive shop and try on different equipment.

Thank you so much. I'm going to a local dive shop today. Unfortunately, they don't come at all recommended, but I know I can Google and check out places further out.

I appreciate your insight into the snorkel question! Any thoughts on how booties fit in fins generally and affect fin use? I am told I can't return gear once it gets wet. I'm wondering if a stiffer sole like I might use for shore dives would impede fin use. I'm embarrassed to ask such a basic question, but this group seems really nice. Thank you again!

As far as booties, I agree that zippers are handy. As for hight, kinda depends on where you plan to dive. If only warm water, you can go low, but high cut is best for colder water. I have never regretted having high cut booties when diving in the Caribbean. A thick sole helps if you will be doing any Caribbean trips that include shore diving. A lot of shore entries are over sharp rock. I don’t feel they impede fin use. Make sure you try fins on with the booties as the thickness of the sole will effect the fit of the fin.

Don’t be embarrassed, we were all new at some point.

Enjoy your class!

Erik

Order online from leisurepro.....return what doesn’t fit or like....easy peasy..

For dive booties, I second getting ones with a zipper and a fin strap lug to keep fins from shifting down. I've tried both split fins and paddle fins. I love my Mares Avanti Quattro Plus fins and bought my boys the same pair. For dive mask, you really need to try on and swivel your head around to make sure it's comfortable. I picked up the Mares i3 masks for my boys. For snorkel, I like a dry one. I have the old Oceanic Ultra Dry and picked up the Oceanic Ultra Dry 2 for my boys. Good luck shopping!

I use a snorkel on ocean dives and keep it simple - nothing on top nor a purge valve that could leak. A foldable may be an option if you do not want it attached to your mask.

For your fins, buy a set that match the buoyancy characteristics of your legs/feet. For example, I am feet heavy and find the DiveRite fin works best. One daughter is feet light and she uses a SP jet fin. You can spend a lot of money on fins so you will want to try and get it right the first time. One suggestion would be to pay a little extra and buy spring straps.

You got some good advice above on booties. Also, I am sure that whatever bootie thickness you use in Pa will be fine in Florida or the Caribbean.

As far as booties, I agree that zippers are handy. As for hight, kinda depends on where you plan to dive. If only warm water, you can go low, but high cut is best for colder water. I have never regretted having high cut booties when diving in the Caribbean. A thick sole helps if you will be doing any Caribbean trips that include shore diving. A lot of shore entries are over sharp rock. I don’t feel they impede fin use. Make sure you try fins on with the booties as the thickness of the sole will effect the fit of the fin.

Don’t be embarrassed, we were all new at some point.

Enjoy your class!

Erik

Thank you so much! That is super helpful. I plan to dive in both cold water (PA, MD, DE, to start) and also the Caribbean. High sounds like the way to go, most likely, then. I really appreciate your help!

Order online from leisurepro.....return what doesn’t fit or like....easy peasy..
Thank you! I ordered fins and my mask from them. I am hoping they work! The tricky thing is it seems once they get wet they can't be returned, which totally makes sense, but makes me wonder how much I can "try" them. Doesn't matter too much to me--I am just so excited to be going on this journey, finally!!! :)

For dive booties, I second getting ones with a zipper and a fin strap lug to keep fins from shifting down. I've tried both split fins and paddle fins. I love my Mares Avanti Quattro Plus fins and bought my boys the same pair. For dive mask, you really need to try on and swivel your head around to make sure it's comfortable. I picked up the Mares i3 masks for my boys. For snorkel, I like a dry one. I have the old Oceanic Ultra Dry and picked up the Oceanic Ultra Dry 2 for my boys. Good luck shopping!

Thank you so much! I am Googling and will ask the dive shop this evening about a fin strap lug. That is something I have not heard of. I will look into everything you recommended. I really appreciate your help! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom