I've narrowed my Reg choices down...help me decide.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a Scubapro fanboy [if you will :) ] through and through...I have found parts easy to come by and self-service pretty easy to do. So, if you want to go that route...you can service and tune them yourself. There is a good bit of ramp up time and there is some up-front tools cost...but after that, it is pretty cheap to maintain. I have found LOTS of help on this website :)

Otherwise, if you see yourself where the regs will see a good bit of abuse...then I agree the MK17 is a good choice...or any environmentally sealed reg for that matter.

I agree with the folks here that your choices will take you as far as you want to go...and there is nothing wrong with looking at getting regs that can serve you now and in the future when you go into tec diving. I did that and loved it as it was a big help having familiar equipment when I started to push myself...especially having familiar regs that I knew and trusted.

Personally, I dive the MK20s/S600 combo...but have serviced/dove the MK14, R380, R390, G250, G250HP, G200, S600, MK20s, MK25, S555, and some Dacors that I got when I first got into diving.

The MK20/S600 will be lighter above water than an MK17/G260...not much difference underwater...either will take you anywhere you want to go...but the MK17/G260 will give you more protection against ice-ups in very cold water [if you are even looking that far ahead based upon your original post]....but the MK17/G260 might be a bit more rugged [mainly b/c of the MK17].

I agree with the above folks that said search around and find the best package deal on what you want [of the choices you first listed] and you cannot really go wrong :) Good luck!

I REALLY like the Apeks XTX200 package but I was told it would be very hard to get it serviced here in the US. I was also told that buying from the UK, I would lose my 2 year warranty in order to get the big cost savings.
Any authorized Aqualung dealer is also an Apeks dealer, even if they don't stock the brand. There might be some resistance due to the initial investment of the model specific online service training and a couple of tools, but most folks would be happy to make that investment in a recording customer. Especially if you buy the reg from them.

Shurite7, So, If I buy the Apeks from the UK, I will lose my warranty, But there are service centers that will service it for me? Sorry for all the questions but I have been out of the game so long I'm lost. I have people telling me Scubapro, Apeks, DGX ect. I'm sure they are all good I just want to have dependable gear that I can use for years.

Jack, Thank you for that info, I wasn't aware that AW serviced Apeks!
Aqualung owns Apeks, for about 20 years now. If you plan to follow the MFGR service schedule, alternating inspections one year and overhauls the next year, the service kits will be free... if bought from a US authorized dealer.

@Ken-Tac, any of the choices you've narrowed it down to will be dependable for years to come. Perhaps someone else can correct me, but warranties don't seem that useful on a regulator. I suppose it's possible that you could get one with a problem out of the box that might need to be covered under warranty, but in general regulators are rugged, but need regular servicing long-term warranty or not. Scubapro used to offer this "parts for life" warranty, but it came with some pretty strict service requirements and it didn't really save you a lot of money.

I appreciate all you guys helping me out and answering the questions I have! If I buy from the UK will service centers here still do the servicing since I won't be able to register the reg set??

I appreciate all you guys helping me out and answering the questions I have! If I buy from the UK will service centers here still do the servicing since I won't be able to register the reg set??
Yes, but no parts for life.

OK. I found (at DIRDirect in the UK) the Apeks package that has the Apeks XTX200 (FSR) first stage, XTX200 second stage, and a free XTX40 octo all for $390.00 US! Shipping is around $40 US (Fed-Ex). Sounded like a good deal, but I was concerned about the waranty and servicing. But you guys have seemed to answer those questions for me!

OK. I found (at DIRDirect in the UK) the Apeks package that has the Apeks XTX200 (FSR) first stage, XTX200 second stage, and a free XTX40 octo all for $390.00 US! Shipping is around $40 US (Fed-Ex). Sounded like a good deal, but I was concerned about the waranty and servicing. But you guys have seemed to answer those questions for me!
It’s a good deal and cheap enough that if you need work done on it you’ll likely remain ahead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom