Mares MR22X?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vq-1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What is the difference between the mr22x and the mr22t?

Attachments

• A23FD09E-EA7D-44C9-BACE-9C39A274E263.jpeg
    A23FD09E-EA7D-44C9-BACE-9C39A274E263.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 173
Once the poppet is replaced/upgraded during normal service, there is no difference. "T" designated the change to Tri-material poppet several years ago, "X" designated the change to the current ACT poppet, along with the change from annual overhauls to alternating inspections and overhauls.

Awesome, thanks

Once the poppet is replaced/upgraded during normal service, there is no difference. "T" designated the change to Tri-material poppet several years ago, "X" designated the change to the current ACT poppet, along with the change from annual overhauls to alternating inspections and overhauls.

Jack (or anyone else) - Do you happen to know the differences between the serviceable parts of the older / heavier MR22 and the newer MR22x?

I have two MR22's and am considering adding an MR22x for my newly certified daughter, but was curious if the rebuild kits are the same.

The two MR22's were purchased around ~15 years ago. I've replaced the poppet in each multiple times during service. It seems like the original poppets had white or clear looking sealing material but the newer poppet has a black rubber looking material located on the the stem and bottom. Also oddly the metal poppet seat that sits below the poppet is more sharp on one of my two MR22s. I'm guessing the one with the smoother poppet seat is a newer revision to aid with poppet seal life span.

Jack (or anyone else) - Do you happen to know the differences between the serviceable parts of the older / heavier MR22 and the newer MR22x?

I have two MR22's and am considering adding an MR22x for my newly certified daughter, but was curious if the rebuild kits are the same.

The two MR22's were purchased around ~15 years ago. I've replaced the poppet in each multiple times during service. It seems like the original poppets had white or clear looking sealing material but the newer poppet has a black rubber looking material located on the the stem and bottom. Also oddly the metal poppet seat that sits below the poppet is more sharp on one of my two MR22s. I'm guessing the one with the smoother poppet seat is a newer revision to aid with poppet seal life span.
No. The sharper seat is current, as the current poppet valves are harder and more durable. The original poppets are no longer available, and any seat that is not upgraded has a high expectation of leaks and performance problems. Current poppet is ACT, previous Tri-material also paired with the sharper seat. I am not at the shop right now to check the colors.
Current bi-annual kits include the ACT poppet for all 16/22/32 1st stages. Older annual kits did not include Tri-material poppet, as it was supposed to be replaced on alternate years and was a stand alone part.

ACT upgrade kit includes seat, poppet, seat oring, and a fresh spring. (no part change on the spring)

First - Many thanks for the reply and sharing your knowledge of these Mares regulators Jack. I'm reading through a similar thread now where you get into more detail over the various Mares parts changes over the years. It sounds like the 22x is end of life with the replacement being a completely different design 52x.

And a request for one clarification - Is it accurate that certain internal service parts are interchangeable between the ~2004 MR22 and the newer light weight MR22x? i.e. The (sharper) Poppet Seat + Poppet Seat O-ring + ACT T-Shaped Poppet, etc.

Also a couple of corrections on my end after digging through some of my spare parts...

I don't recall why, but I replaced one of the poppet seats at some point. The original appears to have a more smooth center edge. Perhaps this was recommended by my parts supplier at the time due to poppet material changes to Tri-material. (This matches your comment on the newer seat having a sharper edge.)

After I lost my original source of Mares branded replacement parts, I found a 3rd party source for poppets. The poppets I'm currently using have a black stem and very light grey or white (plastic like feel) bottom... not a black rubbery bottom as I incorrectly mentioned above. I'm curious if this matches the currently recommended ACT part, the prior TM part, or the first T-shaped part. (Picture attached.)

I attached a picture of what I suspect is one of my original (circa ~2004) poppets. However I seem to recall the poppet in the other MR22 was slightly different material. Again I believe my MR22's were different revisions.

Also if anyone has a good source for OEM Mares parts, feel free to send me a PM. I do believe you can get them from the EU now days however.

-Andy

Attachments

• Replaced Poppet Seat_Smooth Center Edge.jpg
    Replaced Poppet Seat_Smooth Center Edge.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 3rd Party Sourced Poppet_Light Grey Hard Bottom with Black Stem Material.jpg
    3rd Party Sourced Poppet_Light Grey Hard Bottom with Black Stem Material.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Replaced Poppet_Clear Bottom and Clear Stem Material.jpg
    Replaced Poppet_Clear Bottom and Clear Stem Material.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 69
Yes, MR22 and 22x valve parts are the same, assuming MR has been upgraded. Don’t mix and match seats and poppets.
Black shaft poppet is Tri-material. ACT is chromed brass.

First - Many thanks for the reply and sharing your knowledge of these Mares regulators Jack. I'm reading through a similar thread now where you get into more detail over the various Mares parts changes over the years. It sounds like the 22x is end of life with the replacement being a completely different design 52x.

And a request for one clarification - Is it accurate that certain internal service parts are interchangeable between the ~2004 MR22 and the newer light weight MR22x? i.e. The (sharper) Poppet Seat + Poppet Seat O-ring + ACT T-Shaped Poppet, etc.

Also a couple of corrections on my end after digging through some of my spare parts...

I don't recall why, but I replaced one of the poppet seats at some point. The original appears to have a more smooth center edge. Perhaps this was recommended by my parts supplier at the time due to poppet material changes to Tri-material. (This matches your comment on the newer seat having a sharper edge.)

After I lost my original source of Mares branded replacement parts, I found a 3rd party source for poppets. The poppets I'm currently using have a black stem and very light grey or white (plastic like feel) bottom... not a black rubbery bottom as I incorrectly mentioned above. I'm curious if this matches the currently recommended ACT part, the prior TM part, or the first T-shaped part. (Picture attached.)

I attached a picture of what I suspect is one of my original (circa ~2004) poppets. However I seem to recall the poppet in the other MR22 was slightly different material. Again I believe my MR22's were different revisions.

Also if anyone has a good source for OEM Mares parts, feel free to send me a PM. I do believe you can get them from the EU now days however.

-Andy
Slight correction. There have been four MR poppets, not three. First one was rubber - blue with a metal shaft. Next was Pebax, the white one in your photo with the extra contour on the shaft. Then tri-material, your other photo with the black stem, assuming the sealing surface is actually white or light grey and that blue cast in the photo is just reflection. And now we have the current ACT version.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom