Belize Dive Haven?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you search “belize dive haven” on google maps, the location is blanked out on the satellite view. What’s up with that?

If you search “belize dive haven” on google maps, the location is blanked out on the satellite view. What’s up with that?

Looks like it could just be a big sandy rectangle from when they cleared and leveled the site in preparation for construction.

It just boggles my mind that something of that scale could be constructed on a remote small island with absolutely no infrastructure. It would take fleets of supply barges and years to build.

2 dives per day is not enough. Anyone going out there is going for the diving. All of the competition offers 3 dives per day.
The support infrastructure can be found behind this restaurant on Google maps satellite view...

The Shipyard Bar and Grill

It was maybe 10 years ago but the last time I stayed at Turneffe Island Resort we went by a caye north of ours that appeared to have a huge construction project going on. We were a good ways out, so I couldn't see it very well but it appeared they were clearing a large chunk of land. The dive staff told me that there was going to be a new resort built there.

My guess is it's probably the same place. If so, the resort's been years in the making. I often wondered if it had been built since I never heard anything else about it.

If it were me, I wouldn't go. I know it's new and all that but the photos make it look like a ghost town. It would be creepy to stay in a place so big if there weren't many people there. Not really my kind of place anyway.

Not that you're asking for alternatives, but If you want to stay somewhere on the atoll, I'd bite the bullet and stay at TIR, Turneffe Lodge or Blackbird, pretty much in that order. Or for a lot cheaper, try Huracan, Stoo's favorite. It's about $5K for two for a week.

Me, I'll stick to Placencia. Splash roams all over the place, I can hang out in the village at night, and I can drive up to the jungle in 30 minutes. All for a lot less than any of the atoll resorts.

I want one of y'all to go and then give us a review.

You first please.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom