Stingray City Barracuda Attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alucard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Not diving-related specifically, but involving underwater activities:

Visitor badly bitten by barracuda at Sandbar - Cayman Islands Headline News

Has anyone ever seen any aggression from Barracudas while diving? I have to say that while they often hang out with me during a dive they have never ever shown any signs of aggression.

What is your experience and the circumstances surrounding it?

Nope. We have had the similar hanging and watching scenario. Would love to know if it was one of the early morning trips when there are only a handful of people about. I have never seen one at Stingray City!

I was almost nailed by one while I was swimming in a bait ball. Twasn't me he was after.

See, tourniquet!

Ducks and runs.

Did you give him a dirty look and he went away or what? :D
I counted the scales as he swam past me. Swimming in the baitball didn't seem so magical after than, and we went separate ways. :D

Not diving-related specifically, but involving underwater activities:

Visitor badly bitten by barracuda at Sandbar - Cayman Islands Headline News

Has anyone ever seen any aggression from Barracudas while diving? I have to say that while they often hang out with me during a dive they have never ever shown any signs of aggression.

We've seen them frequently when we dive in GC. Normally, they just hang around or follow you (can be close) but usually swim away slowly if you actually approach them. I've had the same experience with barracuda behaviour in other Carribean locations as well. Here is a friendlier one from Macabuca this past Feb:

However, we did a jet ski snorkel safari on 7 MB last summer and a rather large barracuda was "menacing" the group for a bit near Cheeseburger Reef - it actually "charged" towards 2 of our group a few times but always stoppped ~ 4-5 feet away. It seemed a little agitated and was moving it's mouth in a biting fashion quite rapidly (more than normal). They guides had us move closer to Eden Rock, but it just followed us over and was hanging under the skis so the guides cut the trip at that point (it was the last stop anyhow). One of the guides told me the same barracuda had bitten one of the guides the week before.

Has anyone ever seen any aggression from Barracudas while diving?

Years ago, right after I learned to dive, I watched a snorkel guide dive down (about 20 feet or so) and pinch the tail of a barracuda which was eyeing a school of fish being fed by snorkelers feeding the fish Cheetos. The barracuda took off at lightning speed into the school of fish and nail one. It swallowed half and the other half sank. What I learned that day is if a barracuda came it me there was no way of escaping. They are fast.

Move forward a several years with more experience in diving. I moved to the tropics to live the dream as an instructor. One day, while diving alone since no one wanted to have a guide, I spotted a barracuda hanging out on top of a coral head facing slightly downward. Remembering what I saw years ago I made a decision. It was obvious he could not see me so I sneaked up behind it and pinched its tail. It swam away and then turned back, at lightning speed, and came at me. I crapped my shorts and said to myself I'm an idiot. Remembering how fast they are I stood my ground. Luckily nothing happened. It stopped about five feet away from me. It followed me for the remainder of the dive which prompted me to end early.

Beautiful vid. They are incredible creatures. There used to be one who had staked his claim to a spot in the water behind the old ferry that used to go to Rum Point from the Hyatt Canal. He definitely considered it his turf.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom