First time diving in Seattle area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depending on how long you are going to be in the area and how far you are willing to travel, Keystone Jetty is one of my favorite places to dive. I'm fortunate to live only about 15 minutes from the site and dive it regularly.

There's a wonderful book called "Shore Diving Near Seattle" by Alexander, Maxwell & Kent Wallner that was published in 2008. It's currently out-of-print but you might be able to find copies via the web. What's nice about the book is it has easy to follow directions of each site, including where to park, where to enter, general maps of the dive sites and what you can expect to see.

If you are interested in taking the ferry across to Bainbridge Island, there is a dive shop there called Exotic Aquatics. I dove with them on the island a couple years ago and really enjoyed the experience.

Bainbridge is a beautiful place to visit anyway, so you can do a couple dives, try one of the great restaurants, and make a day of it.

The specific site we dove was Rockaway Beach, which offered some interesting features including huge numbers of crabs all over the place on the bottom. Exotic Aquatics offers dive guides and equipment rentals.

Don't mean to hijack this, but I may be heading out to Bremerton in mid September as well, and I am looking to bring my rebreather and would love to be able to rent some 2l tanks. Does anyone know of a shop that might be able to rent me a couple?

How about evening dives spots? Unfortunately I have to work during the day and would like to find some dives after 5pm if possible.

From what I remember living there years ago the Puget Sound would be drysuit diving.

Thanks

@TTPaws I would talk to the people at 8 Diving in Des Moines. They're on the other side of the sound from Bremerton, but are probably the most tech oriented shop in the area. They list 3L O2 or Diluent bottles on their rental page, but maybe can hook you up with 2L bottles. Equipment Rentals

@TTPaws, ping when when you plan to come to town.

I'm a Seattle rebreather diver and might be able to hook you up with some bottles and sorb. What unit do you dive and when do you come to town? I do a lot of evening dives including weekly Thursday night club dives at nearby shore diving sites.

Visit the NWDiveClub.com site to sync up with lots of local divers and dive planning schedules.

Visit the NWDiveClub.com site to sync up with lots of local divers and dive planning schedules.

+1. They can get you set up with evening dives, maybe loan equipment, and just good advice.

Highly recommend Exotic Aquatics (my daughter and I did our open water cert dives with them). The second day was at Sund Rock - fantastic, low current marine preserve near Hoodsport. We went back there for our first 'independent' dives. There is a staging location and available map. Plenty of other friendly divers as well. It costs 15$ to get into the staging area (private land) but well worth it. They have a Facebook page with more info.

GPO, Wolf Eel, Lingcod, crab, Plumose Anemone, Rockfish, etc.

Water temperature is < 50 deg, but we use semi dry wet suits, and my last dive I was very comfortable. The key is really good gloves!

Steve

@TTPaws, ping when when you plan to come to town.

I'm a Seattle rebreather diver and might be able to hook you up with some bottles and sorb. What unit do you dive and when do you come to town? I do a lot of evening dives including weekly Thursday night club dives at nearby shore diving sites.

Thanks I'll do that..

I'm waiting for the bosses to decide if I'll make the trip, but it is looking like 16 - 20 Sept. I usually get done for the day around 5 pm. I dive an APD Evo + and I'll be able to bring my sorb, just not the tanks.

As @CYKLOPS was talking about, I was thinking of doing Hoodsport, if I remember correctly, isn't far from Bremerton.

I'll be in a drysuit as I am seldom diving wet at temps less then 70F. Yes, I am a wimp:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I'll take a look at the website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom