Buying a used drysuit, what should I check for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheMunchkin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I want to purchase a drysuit but will likely be going the second hand route. I haven't taken the drysuit course due to not having a drysuit of course. So I would like to know what I should be looking for in a drysuit and what I should be avoiding when it comes to second hand, any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

JLM

The main thing is fit, you can ace that by buying a Seaskin suit which is custom made for you.

Check the zipper. It has a limited lifetime and costs a bit to change. The looser it is, the more it's been used. A new brass zipper is a bit hard to close.

Check that the seals are sound and in good shape. They're cheaper and easier to change than what a zipper is, but you don't necessarily want to try your hand at that if you're a bit inexperienced.

Otherwise, it shouldn't leak, and it should fit decently with the undergarments in place.

Hi, I want to purchase a drysuit but will likely be going the second hand route. I haven't taken the drysuit course due to not having a drysuit of course. So I would like to know what I should be looking for in a drysuit and what I should be avoiding when it comes to second hand, any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

JLM

J...

Very difficult question to answer simply...

As has already been mentioned...enough cannot be said about proper size...under-size restricts range of movement...over-size traps air...

Condition of zipper...on most suits with a rear zipper...you will need assistance...

Hard boots as opposed to soft feet and rock boots...I prefer the latter because the suit can be completely turned inside out for proper drying and cleaning...

Condition of seals...condition of suit fabric/fabric stitching/fabric inner seams...avoid suits that have been patched/avoid suits covered with globs of Aqua-Seal...check valve function...

The suit may be full of pin-holes that can only be detected if the suit is leak tested...and not leak tested in the water...

Buy a suit that still has original manufacturer support...for technical advice/parts/service...

This is a short list...should be helpful...

W...

I haven't taken the drysuit course due to not having a drysuit of course.

You don't necessarily need to own a drysuit to take the course. Many dive shops have rental drysuit included into the price of the course, or even have an option to do the pool portion of the course to see if you like drysuit diving, and continue with the open water checkout if you so choose. But if you are determined to buy it, then of course taking the course in that drysuit makes more sense.

As others wrote, make sure the zipper is in good shape and doesn't miss any teeth, that the material of the suit and seals don't have any visible holes and tears. If you have an option to keep the suit overnight, and especially if you have a tank with air, plug seals with something (I used a couple of kids plastic cups and a plastic bucket in a picture), inflate the suit, and see if it holds air (preferably keeps most of it overnight).

Finally, inspect valves, to see if you can inflate and deflate the suit.

Attachments

• IMG_4845.jpg
    IMG_4845.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 111
Check the zip and go test dive the suit.

This won't be your last suit, but it will inform the purchase of your next one.

If it fits and it's dry, you already have a winner.

A zipper will cost $350ish to replace, so factor that in. If the boots don't fit your feet thats another $200 or so. Have the seals been cut? Do they fit your neck and wrists or do you need new ones? I bought used and I love my drysuit, but with the money I put into it I could have just bought a new Seaskin.

What is the expected lifespan of a drysuit zipper, given it has been used with care and proper maintenance?

What is the expected lifespan of a drysuit zipper, given it has been used with care and proper maintenance?
They are good until they aren’t. 200 to 400 dives maybe more I don’t know if there is any definitive answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom