SuperSuit Leaking around the lens. Anyone else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, a dive real housing, “built like a brick”...A lot more expensive,(and heavy) indeed...$49.99 vs $410. At those prices,I would simply replace the GoPro case, or carry a backup.

No doubt. It's a different animal and it is expensive. But I'm not going to reward gopro for building crappy housings by buying more crappy housings from them to use as spares - and maybe have to replace the camera too.

I don't expect gopro's housing to go to 200m but I do think the current failure rate is unacceptable.
I was fine with my gppro 3 housing - still am - but I hear too msny reports like this on the new ones, and experienced it myself.

No doubt. It's a different animal and it is expensive. But I'm not going to reward gopro for building crappy housings by buying more crappy housings from them to use as spares - and maybe have to replace the camera too.

I don't expect gopro's housing to go to 200m but I do think the current failure rate is unacceptable.
I was fine with my gppro 3 housing - still am - but I hear too msny reports like this on the new ones, and experienced it myself.
I have this camera & the same housing...with no problems. If it’s worth it to you to spend another $400 on a better housing,...thus doubling the cost of your investment...go for it.

I think the new ones are not as robust as the ones for earlier models. Mine inspired no confidence when compared to my old 3 housing and, sure enough, leaked on dive 1. Fortunately, camera was OK.

It's also a stupid design to have to remove the lens cover just to use the housing.

I $h#[canned it and bought an isotta housing and haven't looked back. It's expensive but you get what you pay for.
Yes,it’s a stupid design flaw by the GoPro folks, I agree...

I have this camera & the same housing...with no problems. If it’s worth it to you to spend another $400 on a better housing,...thus doubling the cost of your investment...go for it.

Many/most are fine (so far) but a disturbing number aren't. Having had a lemon already, I don't want to find out I got another one next week in Truk or next year in Bikini - or feel like I need to bring spares as a hedge.

But, I get it & understand. I would be more willing to chance it if I could whistle up a replacement on the trips, but I can't. Usually, I'm happy to self insure. I'm just resentful that Gopro is gone cheaper on its housings.

Many/most are fine (so far) but a disturbing number aren't. Having had a lemon already, I don't want to find out I got another one next week in Truk or next year in Bikini - or feel like I need to bring spares as a hedge.

But, I get it & understand. I would be more willing to chance it if I could whistle up a replacement on the trips, but I can't. Usually, I'm happy to self insure. I'm just resentful that Gopro is gone cheaper on its housings.
Understood...

It seems to me that there is a market opportunity for a new GoPro Case.

Criteria:

- price point: maybe 100-200
- room inside for a moisture sucker capsule?
- don't have to remove the lens to use it?
- adaptable to all filter systems?
- double o-rings?
- material: aluminum would be awesome, but costly. Probably molded plastic.

What else?

Kickstarter?

Back
Top Bottom