Egyptian Currency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laurie S.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm headed to Egypt on August 3rd for two weeks and just tried to buy pounds through my bank. They can't do it. I'm flying into Hurghada. Is there an ATM at the airport or do I go to a currency exchange booth?

Yes, there are ATMs at the airport. I didn't have a problem getting money while I was there in November.

ATM at every resort hotel I saw, and the touristy marina / restaurants area in Hurghada (which I cant recall the name of, sorry).

Cabs:
Dont get in a car that isnt marked as an official cab (I think they were green?)

There are standard rates for various locations. Ask your hotel or liveaboard what it should be.

At end of trip give cab that much (tip if you like). Get out. Do not get into conversation about price. Hold your ground if they try to.

They also like to play games where they palm a note and say, no you only game me x, you didn't give me y.

To be clear not every cabby does this, but enough do that you treat all the same. Get out hand money, keep walking.

Keep in mind what the exchange rate is. I recall a cabbie shaking me down for 20 pounds, we are only talking about roughly a dollar. In principle it bothered me and I responded like someone who doesn't let people shake him down, but in retrospect wasnt worth 5 minutes of a vacation with a shouting match with some stranger.

ATM at every resort hotel I saw, and the touristy marina / restaurants area in Hurghada (which I cant recall the name of, sorry).

Cabs:
Dont get in a car that isnt marked as an official cab (I think they were green?)

There are standard rates for various locations. Ask your hotel or liveaboard what it should be.

At end of trip give cab that much (tip if you like). Get out. Do not get into conversation about price. Hold your ground if they try to.

They also like to play games where they palm a note and say, no you only game me x, you didn't give me y.

To be clear not every cabby does this, but enough do that you treat all the same. Get out hand money, keep walking.

Keep in mind what the exchange rate is. I recall a cabbie shaking me down for 20 pounds, we are only talking about roughly a dollar. In principle it bothered me and I responded like someone who doesn't let people shake him down, but in retrospect wasnt worth 5 minutes of a vacation with a shouting match with some stranger.

That's why I used Uber while I was there.

ATMs are widely available in tourist areas and main cities, but they are not always working.
No problem to withdraw money with a MasterCard or Visa and no banking fee from Egyptian banks I tried.
There is a 3000EGP ($180) maximum limit per withdrawal, so banking fees from your own bank (if any) can quickly raise the finale bill.

Was in Egypt in June in Cairo and Dahab, most tourist areas will acept dollars and euros at the hotels and shops. As mentioned you can withdraw from any ATM with a VISA / MASTER card.
One tip, when you want to buy something get the price fixed before you pull out a money clip or roll of cash, and if you do, keep it to small amounts don't walk around with a lot of money. You can comfortably buy food and drink for the whole day at the local restaurants and shops for less than 500 ponds a day, single person, that is equal to about US$30. A meal at a local establishment is between 100 - 250 pound (excluding drinks) and some dishes is large enough for two people to share.

Another tips: when you withdraw money from an ATM, never accept the conversion into your local money they offer, it is always a very bad conversion rate and it is better to let your own bank do the conversion.

Back
Top Bottom