Experience with Solitude Adventurer (Raja Ampat)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fluff_astrid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In my search for Raja Ampat liveaboards, I came across one called Solitude Adventurer. It seems to be relatively new (can't find many reviews or writeups about it). As much as it looks OK, it's hard for me to make the decision to plop down $$$ on a liveaboard without knowing it has a good track record/is legitimate -- anyone here been on this boat, or at least know of it? Thanks!

I was on the Solitude One (same fleet) in Tubbataha a couple of months ago. I was not impressed with the cabins, but the food was very good and the crew and logistics were excellent. The Adventurer appear to be much newer, and more recently refurbished, so probably a good bet. There is no mention of it on Undercurrent.

Solitude Fleet is well known and regarded and in the Philippines. I’ve been to Raja twice and my hesitation would be with the guides and how well they know the dive sites and nuances of diving in Raja Ampat, especiaoly given the strong currents that are present and as it relates to the moon phases but also time of day and the best places to drop in and exit to see the best stuff. I would ask if they are freelancing guides or how experienced their guides are while expressing what I wrote above. That is always my wonder about new boats.

Which itinerary and how many days are you looking at? I suggest the 10 if you can. I went for 7 the first time and found it wasn’t enough given how good the diving was and went back for 11. I’m headed back for 12 next year.

Thank you! I will enquire as to whether the guides are freelance or staff.

I’m probably going to start with 7 days. I’m a solo traveler and my friends aren’t interested in diving that time of year (Christmas holidays), so 7 seems like a safe start number depending on what kind of bunkmate I get assigned (too long with the wrong person can make all the difference :)).

7 days is too short for Raja Ampat in my humble or not so humble opinion.

7 days is too short for Raja Ampat in my humble or not so humble opinion.

It didn’t take me very many dives to realize this, either, but I also had no complaints about going back again and again. :) I did think, hmm, I should’ve spent more and booked the longer trip. It’s just money, right? I can make more? :wink: Story of my life. I keep telling myself that.

It didn’t take me very many dives to realize this, either, but I also had no complaints about going back again and again. :) I did think, hmm, I should’ve spent more and booked the longer trip. It’s just money, right? I can make more? :wink: Story of my life. I keep telling myself that.

Yes, that was working great until I wasn't making money anymore, lol

My first trip there was also my first liveaboard experience. It was 10 or 11 days. I wanted nothing more than to stay for another 10 days. Sigh

None of my subsequent trips have been under 11days and again, I never want to leave.

Yes, that was working great until I wasn't making money anymore, lol

My first trip there was also my first liveaboard experience. It was 10 or 11 days. I wanted nothing more than to stay for another 10 days. Sigh

None of my subsequent trips have been under 11days and again, I never want to leave.

You are my spirit Canadian. :D

Thanks all! Resurrecting so I can ask one more related question: I have the option to dive on Blue Manta for 9 days or Damai 1 for 6 days, in the timeframe I'm looking at. Which of these is going to be the best for a solo diver (one thing I noticed with Damai is it seems to cater for a lot of non-divers and possibly young children as much as it caters for divers and, while it otherwise looks amazing, I wonder if it's going to be too much like a family resort than the Blue Manta). I also don't see them offering many courses onboard like the Blue Manta does (I'd like to do Nitrox). Thoughts welcome!

Thanks all! Resurrecting so I can ask one more related question: I have the option to dive on Blue Manta for 9 days or Damai 1 for 6 days, in the timeframe I'm looking at. Which of these is going to be the best for a solo diver (one thing I noticed with Damai is it seems to cater for a lot of non-divers and possibly young children as much as it caters for divers and, while it otherwise looks amazing, I wonder if it's going to be too much like a family resort than the Blue Manta). I also don't see them offering many courses onboard like the Blue Manta does (I'd like to do Nitrox). Thoughts welcome!
Blue Manta was a great trip. We went from Ambon to Raja Ampat. Exceptional crew.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom