Feeling discouraged after my first pool dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a question. Why were you carrying your buddy's gear? No wonder you were tired.

Not having mastered buoyancy on your first pool dive is the rule not the exception. Sometimes is something as simple as you're not relaxed and breathing normally. Too deep breathing can throw your buoyancy all out of whack. I bet as you get more comfortable your buoyancy control will be just fine.

Good Luck.

I recall how gracefully the instructor moved under water during my first pool dive. I was struggling with all the unfamiliar kit, often unbalanced and not knowing how to move properly.

Thankfully that doesn't last too long so stick with it OP.

I've now completed my second diver grade and own all my gear. Unfortunately the weight doesn't reduce but you get the knack of humping it around. I sometimes think it'd be nice to get back to the simplicity of a pool diving rig but 60 degree uk sea water doesn't encourage that.

Lots of good encouragement here re the buoyancy, relax, it'll come. Good on you for identifying it, now you have something to practise.

Re the age, I got my cert 3 years ago at age 48, but we're just whippersnappers compared to some of the amazing older people I see at our local sites - which are shore dives often with a steep climb up from the water.

You'll get used to carrying your kit, and it's not a race. Take your time, stop and rest if you need to, and make your buddy carry their own damn gear (assuming they are capable).

Excellent advice so far. Introduce me to a diver who says they didn't have a problem in their pool sessions and I won't be surprised if they also tell me they rode in on a unicorn! Your struggles are familiar to all of us and all can be beaten with a bit of time and determination.

Pool sessions are necessary but there is nothing to focus on except what doesn't feel right. It is good to self assess but not to be too tough on yourself.

Just a question. Why were you carrying your buddy's gear? No wonder you were tired.

Yup. OP...what was going on here? Why were you carrying your buddy’s gear?

Don’t worry about the age thing OP. Once you get done with class and get diving for fun...the majority of people that you’ll run into are not youngins. I’ve yet to have a dive buddy that was under 30. The average that I run into is 35-55.

The buddy could be her relative? Child, niece, nephew?

Another thing to realize is that typically students in classes are way overweighted.

To put it into perspective, on my pool dives I had 14lbs of lead. And keep in mind this is fresh water.

After figuring out proper weight, on real dives, I now use only 6lbs of weight. And that is in salt water. So keep in mind how much actual weight difference that is nearly 10lbs of buoyancy.

It's harder to get your buoyancy down as it is when starting out, especially if you are over weighted.

I'm still not that experienced and only have 15 dives under my belt, but it took me about 12 dives to "get it" with buoyancy where it clicked and I would control going up/down with my breathing. And my first 7 dives I was still over weighted.

You will be fine. I did NAUI and was the oldest in my class by far. We had a longer swim skill requirement than some other groups like PADI and they were all so fit and lean and young I was terrified. When the day came, and it was my turn, their cheering and support was what helped me when I was running out of steam. They were awesome. You will be overweighted (compared to other times) in the shallow pool. I still have to get used to 15lbs when I go to Stingray City (12/15ft) and normally have 4/6 lbs. Don’t worry they know what they are doing. There is a reason and they don’t expect you to look graceful. Really like the advice to just mention your concerns to your instructor but don’t be too worried, many of us have been there. Also dragging the gear, and the newness of having your own on is using your muscles in new ways. Your body and psyche are making lots of adjustments. Give them a chance. It is so much easier and nicer when you are out of the pool!! The buoyancy will come with time. What I did by dive 50 and dive 100 was like night and day. For a long time now I never even think about it. It will come but takes time. Congratulations sounds like you are progressing very well!!

Hi all! Thank you for all your encouragement!

I was not able to finish the class. After trying to stay vertical for 20 mins (one on one) they determined that my rental suit was too bulky and big (arms/legs too long and folded, top of jumper popping up, 7mm suit for CA waters—) and was just too restricting. Im 4’10 and not the “average” butt size per the size charts.

They suggested I get a custom suit and try again in another class Instructor said he would email me deets.

Im so sad, but at least I got some pool time under my (weight) belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom