Tank failing Visual, shop condemned the tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$500....

$30/stage x6 = $180 (could be more , could be less)
$30/parts kit = $180 (could be more, could be less)
Hoses? Mouthpieces? Other parts? (said they have been unused for a good bit of time)
Extra cleaning/effort ? (we don't know the OP's upkeep or storage practices)

No, nobody likes a $500 bill, but we don't know enough to really pass a solid judgement. Even with having to get "black market" kits, I can do it for less, especially if a basic rebuild....

Could be valid, or, he got fleeced....

You know better than to believe stories on the internet without verification, don't you?

true, but when things like that usually happen it's like @rhwestfall they start replacing $50 hoses without telling or asking you. I would have expected that bill to be around $300-$350 not $500

If I fail a tank durning visual inspection I drill a hole in the neck, or if I'm feeling nice cut the tank in half on the bandsaw so you can make a cool dinner bell. Of course I make you sign a pre-inspection waiver, then provide a detailed VIP sheet and take pictures of the damage to cover my butt. It might make you mad, but I can't let you have a potential 3000 PSI bomb waiting to happen. You or your next of kin and everyone hurt will sue me.
The reason why most PSI/PCI accredited VIP shops don't call you before permanently destroying your cylinder is two fold. One you signed a release form that specified what would happen (destroyed) if it failed visual inspection. Two if you call the customer and tell them you have to make the cylinder inoperable they will argue with you and try to bully you in to giving it back undamaged....My lawyer will blah blah.... It's just smarter to decommission the faulty tank and tell you afterwards. If you want to sue me for a $100 tank go ahead...I have signed form, pictures of damage, and was protecting you and everyone coming in contact with the cylinder.

I checked into this extensively some time back. It's good that you get them to sign a waiver - do they really know what they are signing? Without the waiver, what you are doing is patently illegal. No one doing a visual inspection (as per PSI-PCI direct communication) has any right nor authorization to destroy private property not their own. Their only right is to refuse to certify the tank. Even hydro testing facilities are authorized only to stamp X's over the DOT marking. They are not allowd to destroy private property either.

true, but when things like that usually happen it's like @rhwestfall they start replacing $50 hoses without telling or asking you. I would have expected that bill to be around $300-$350 not $500

I don't believe anything he said above without seeing invoices and getting the other side of the story.

Hey guys, not trying to start an argument. My questions have been answered and I appreciate everyones input. However, I'm not going to post the invoices because I'm not looking to give the shop a bad name based on my bad experience. I will simply move on and take my business elsewhere. No offense, but I don't really care who believes me or not, if you want more info feel free to PM me.

Thanks

This same shop also got me for well over $500 to service two sets of standard regulators
Serious gouge.

I'm not looking to give the shop a bad name based on my bad experience.
Those who will get screwed in the future by this shop thank you. :(

I checked into this extensively some time back. It's good that you get them to sign a waiver - do they really know what they are signing? Without the waiver, what you are doing is patently illegal. No one doing a visual inspection (as per PSI-PCI direct communication) has any right nor authorization to destroy private property not their own. Their only right is to refuse to certify the tank. Even hydro testing facilities are authorized only to stamp X's over the DOT marking. They are not allowd to destroy private property either.

I would like to followup on this comment as there are some finer points that need to be brought up. Mainly between failing, condemning, and destroying a cylinder as they are not the same. When a cylinder fails an inspection there multiple actions that may take place;

Failure to pass a visual inspection - a cylinder may not pass a visual inspection initially but after corrective action (e.g. tumble) pass a visual inspection. This failure may occur at the either the VIP (dive shop) or hydro level. If after the corrective action is taken, the cylinder still fails to pass then it should then be condemned.

Condemning - A cylinder may be condemned for various reasons not limited to corrosion (pitting), cracks, thread damage. A cylinder is condemned by stamping out the DOT/CT stamps per the CFRs. A visual inspector should do that only with permission of the cylinder owner via a waiver. A hydro inspector will take this measure regardless of any signed waiver.

Render the cylinder incapable of holding pressure or being filled. This can not be done without the owner's permission regardless if a visual or hydro inspector as it is destroying personal property.

No rust in that tank. Look at his pix; it is an AL.

My comment was a general comment and not specific to the OP's cylinder.

There aren't that may shops around here (i'm outside of Portland), I can only think of two that it would most likely be. Can you enlighten us?

If the shop is that bad, it will have it's own reputation. If locals don't know which shop it is, there is no reason to bring it up.

Back
Top Bottom