Grand cayman August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vic K

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone, wondering if I can get any recommendations for valet dive op near 7mb. I am trying to look through posts but just have couple of recommendations. We are planning a trip in August and looking to stay at Westin. We usually go to cozumel and have gotten used to great dive ops with nice boats and great service. We are not into shore dives. Also any restaurants/ top side recommendations would be welcomed. We love to go out and socialize with beverages in evenings.Seeing that it can get very$$$$ so any tips would be greatly appreciated. If there are already some great forums that I am not seeing please point me in that direction.

We spent the week diving with Don Fosters. Never had more than 6 divers and our dives were 45 to nearly 70 minutes. They will pick up at the resorts along 7 mile beach. We’ve used them for at least 15 years.

Restaurants are expensive and gratuity is normally added to your bill. We like Macabuca, XQs, Peppers, Guy Harvey’s and Coconut Joe’s. Great coconut curry everywhere with fresh fish on the menu.

We don’t go to bars so no recommendations but the local beer is very dood especially the White Tip and Shell Shock IPA.

Most of the small ops offer full valet service. For instance we pick guests up on their beach with the boat the first day. We keep the gear and rinse and hang it and have it waiting for the next day. This is pretty standard with all the small guys except the boat pick up. Most others collect you by van. There are several great places to eat. Many of even the higher end places do business lunch specials which are a great deal. You can find menus at caymangoodtaste.com. Where are you staying? There is an excellent Fosters grocery store along the corridor at The Strand. There is also a Cost U Less at Governors Square. All of SMB is only about 5 1/2 miles long so these places are not far away. There is now often a 15% grat on restaurant checks (it is clearly stated). This amount is minimal and was done as servers were not getting anything at all. Most folks add a bit to it and more for excellent service. I would add Ragazzi, Thai Orchid, Heritage Kitchen on the restaurant list. Coconut Joes breakfast is delicious, huge and probably one of the best deals on island.

@caydiver we are planning to stay at Westin. Are you affiliated with a dive shop. If yes, which one?

Westin is a great location!! On the central, widest part of SMB. Close to everything. We are Seasports. In short we do beach pickup, valet, etc. Boat holds 16 guests, we limit to 8 unless it is private charter. In house at Westin is Red Sail Sports. They have all the hotels mostly. They are bigger and I don’t think have valet service. Everyone will have favorites. There are probably only 2/3 ops I would not recommend. The level across the board is very high here. The diving is extremely user friendly, the sites are close by and easy to get to. Honestly I think you will love it!!!

I have been out with InDepth Watersports and Cayman University Divers, both of which I believe would satisfy your needs. Both do pick-ups along SMB and provide small boats with only a few people on board.

If you don't mind me asking, why aren't you interested in shore diving?

@Alucard we just don’t like the logistics of shore dive. Much less hassle for us doing a boat dive no lugging of tanks no thinking too much.

@Alucard we just don’t like the logistics of shore dive. Much less hassle for us doing a boat dive no lugging of tanks no thinking too much.
Well, the reason I asked was because your objections may be alleviated by the setup in Cayman. Each of the major shore dives has an on-site dive shop where you get the tanks. You get a dive briefing there, too, and there are setup stations where you can strap on your gear, and a very short walk from there to the ladder for the water entry. So very little lugging involved, and very little thinking - you just turn up with your gear, strap on a tank and get in. I know that this is very very different from other dive locations where you have to rent and transport tanks around, with difficult entries and nobody to brief you as to the dive site.

The big benefit for me is that is brings the cost down from over $100 (for a 2 tank boat dive) to more like $15 per dive. So there is nothing to stop you from supplementing your boat diving with an afternoon shore dive or night dive if that's your thing.

One of the best ways to save money on Grand Cayman is to rent a condo and prepare some simple meals and then go out for a nice dinner and drinks. Many dive ops will pick you up if you stay in a condo on Seven Mile Beach.

Living the Dream is a great dive op and their offices are located almost across the street from the Westin. They will do pick up and drop off. I also go with Red Sail a lot, and they are great. They have an office at the Westin, and they depart from the Westin's beach, so no pickup/drop-off needed. Large boats, but not at all crowded. They may be the most convenient for you.

Sunshine Grill at the Westin is one of our go to places for breakfast. Chicken! Chicken! for jerked chicken.

If you want to hang with the locals, have drinks at Calico Jack's at the north end of SMB - but avoid the food. Also, if you're really into a little partying, check out The Lodge in the Strand Mall - just down the street from Westin and same mall as the Foster's Supermarket. Music there most nights and a lot of locals. Margaritaville can be a good place to hang for drinks in the open air lobby when there's a band on.

Tons of information on the board here, especially if you search for @KathyV posts.

Back
Top Bottom