Dive boat accident involving Dive tech and Cathy Church boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If one runs a loose ship, eventually something happens... This would be one place I wouldn't cringe for someone bringing up normalization of deviance.

Personally, I consider myself a lookout anytime I step aboard a boat, if my childhood on the water didn't teach me enough, the Chiefs in the Navy made it clear in my mind. If anyone wants to learn anything from this, anyone that was on that boat could have raised the alarm, if they considered themselves a lookout. This doesn't excuse the skipper, but could have averted the collision. As the Chief told one sailor that didn't get it, "It isn't like like your part of the ship won't sink with the rest". (I did delete the expletives)

A sad and unnecessary occourance.

Bob
indeed, I was once on the uppers on my day off in Brussels on the river. The Norwegian Frigate behind us was leaving and I was there to wave good bye to one of her crew I had gotten to know. The ship was open for tours and the quarterdeck was very busy with the duty staff focused on saying hello and bye to people coming aboard for the tour. Anyhow the frigate got into some challenges with the river current and started to come directly for us, they went full ahead to get rudder authority and started coming even faster. I ran into the bosuns shack and hit the alarm and made the pipe "emergency stations, emergency stations, brace for collision" just as I heard the bong bongs go off on the frigate because when I first yelled at the quartermaster and bosun they didn't hear me and I was closer anyhow. The frigate passed down our port side by less than a yard while doing full ahead. I am still thankful she didn't hit us because it would have been VERY bad we were in the lowest possible damage control state for the tours so the passageways were all open..and we would have had serious flood issues.

Environmentalist charged over boat smash off 7MB
Cayman News | 04/07/2019
DiveTech-boat-after-crash.jpg

Dive Tech boat after the crash
(CNS): Cathy Church, a well-known environmental activist and famous underwater photographer, has been charged in connection with a boat collision close to the Kittiwake dive site, off Seven Mile Beach, in January. The RCIPS confirmed that a 74-year-old woman from George Town was formally charged with navigating a vessel so as to cause damage or risk of damage, and a reckless and negligent act, and will be summonsed to attend court at a later date.

CNS understands that the collision involved the Cathy Church photo-dive boat crashing into the port side of the Attitude, a bright pink Dive Tech vessel, when no one was at the helm of the Church vessel. Although snorkellers were said to be in the water when the boats collided, no one was hurt

Data from Star trek said I have learned that humans say it is complicated when others are not likely to accept their explanation as valid...(paraphrased)

Really glad no one was hurt. Could’ve been a medical emergency on the other boat. From the description though I thought their was significant damage. The pic makes it look like a fender bender.

Really glad no one was hurt. Could’ve been a medical emergency on the other boat. From the description though I thought their was significant damage. The pic makes it look like a fender bender.

I think that huge crack in the Gunwale/Hull is a bit more than a fender bender.

I think that huge crack in the Gunwale/Hull is a bit more than a fender bender.
Agreed - far from a fender bender! That significant a rupture belies the more significant structural damage hidden underneath that likely propagated from the impact point!

A bit more detail on the extent of damage was provided in an earlier post.
Ataude is presently being fixed. The amount of damage was substantial and it will take time to get her back in the water, but we are moving forward as quickly as possible. The hull has been rebuilt, repaired, and painted, but there are some technical issues with the deck house/flybridge, and there is a need for some custom fabrication, which on this island is hard to come by.

As with any insurance claim, there are difficulties and things which delay the process, which unfortunately I cannot get into more detail about.

Meanwhile we are making due with our other 2 boats.

- Tony

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom