Pros & Cons of using a Dive travel agency versus booking direct?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GR8FUL

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've spent quite a bit of time at my computer recently trying to decide where to go on my next trip and whether to book a LOB or do a land-based dive trip. Along the way, I've come across some Dive-specific travel agencies like Reefrainforest.com, divetrip.com, Caradonna, Dive Discovery, and of course Liveaboards.com.

When you book a LOB that you haven't been on before, do you book through a dive agency or do you book direct? Any particular advantages one way or another that I might not be aware of?

One concern I have is that if I book through a dive-travel agency, and there's a problem with the boat or reservation, who do I complain to and/or who will ultimately take responsibility? Will the travel agent say I need to take the issue up with the boat company and the boat company likewise tell me the travel agent is responsible? In a recent thread another scubaboard member complained of a dive agency doing a bait & switch where they went through an agency & booked and paid for a single room but ended up in a shared room on a LOB.

Are there any Dive-travel Agents you'd specifically recommend--or alternatively advise against using?

I typically do all of my own research and book everything direct with dive ops and hotels. I enjoy doing the research.
Liveaboards I have done have been with Agressor and I have booked directly with them. I recently did a trip to the Philippines and did use a travel agent for the first time and was extremely happy with them. It was totally the right decision and did end up saving me some money, time and hassle. Here is a link to their website: Bluewater Dive Travel | Scuba diving travel agency - Book Liveaboards and Resorts

My decision to go through them was a result of doing all of my own research ahead of time, which included advice from others here on Scubaboard.

I can’t think of any real downside to booking thru a travel agent/company. I use Scuba Travel Ventures.

The thing is, they can always get you the same price you can get by booking directly with the resort or liveaboard. However, sometimes they can do even better. These travel companies typically get a commission from the resorts and liveaboards. On average, that will be anywhere from 10 to 20%. Nothing wrong with looking up the price online and then giving one of these companies a call to see if they can do better.

Most of the time if you book thru a travel company and something goes wrong with the trip, the agent will act on your behalf. At least the reputable ones will. A travel company may send 100’s of clients to a particular resort or liveaboard each year. That gives them a lot of clout when trying to rectify a situation. Of course if you are actually on a liveaboard and something goes south you will need to deal with it at that moment. But if something needs to be done after the trip, a good booking agent can make a difference. The best part is, it doesn’t cost you a dime to use them and just maybe you can get an extra perk or two.

I do a lot of group travel. Some trips I deal directly with the resorts because I have established a long term relationship with them. All of my liveaboards and some of my more exotic land based trips I book with STV.

Has worked great for me so far.

Most of the time if you book thru a travel company and something goes wrong with the trip, the agent will act on your behalf. At least the reputable ones will. A travel company may send 100’s of clients to a particular resort or liveaboard each year. That gives them a lot of clout when trying to rectify a situation.

Appreciate the feedback & recommendations Trailoss & BDSC--above makes sense and sounds like reason enough to book through a travel company.

I'll check out the companies you each recommended.

I usually do it on my own, but I always do my own research. They may have info and suggestions, but I don’t trust any agent to actually pick a place for me.

I’m unlikely to use an agent for a simple Caribbean trip, its easier to do myself. For something on the other side of the planet where you’re dealing with someone in an opposite time zone, who maybe doesn’t take credit cards, and a complicated itinerary using domestic carriers that are sometimes tricky to book from the US - a travel agent can be handy.

Occasionally you can get a deal from a travel agent not available otherwise.

Buy trip insurance and then they can fight your fight after they make you whole.

i'd like to hear about these. could you recommend any? Whenever i have received quotes from agents they have been same or worse and often they don't have up to date information. i've had more than one occasion with padi travel where they have displayed a cabin as being available, only to then say it's not and the only availability is a crapy one by the engine room after i have spent a few hours researching the boat/reviews etc and coodinated with other divers... other than that they have been fine though.

Now i only really book direct, but i would be keen hear of any really good referrals...similar to trailboss, i enjoy the planning aspect...almost obsessively so..

I also do my own planning as to where to go but we have a large group of friends that travel together and I always appreciate them letting me know where they would like to go. But I will do my own research as to which liveaboard or resort to go to. So far it has worked out great.

Like I said in my other post, I use a company called Scuba Travel Ventures in San Diego. Mario and Teresa own the company and I highly recommend them. Have known and worked with them for years.

i'd like to hear about these. could you recommend any? Whenever i have received quotes from agents they have been same or worse and often they don't have up to date information. i've had more than one occasion with padi travel where they have displayed a cabin as being available, only to then say it's not .

Yea, I've come across this issue, too, but worse--I don't even see the same trips advertised!

I was checking out prices and availability on LOBs in the Red Sea on the Liveaboards.com website Search Results More than a few times I would go direct to the boat's online reservation site, and I wouldn't even see the same scheduled trips that Liveaboard.com advertised.

Is that a case of deceptive "click bait" or they simply haven't updated their system?

Seems odd that a web-based travel agency that that specializes in liveaboard reservations you wouldn't have the up-to-date information...

Some situations arise in resorts and liveaboards where they only take wire transfers or if they accept credit cards, there is a 3% surcharge, plus sometimes it is via PayPal for many foreign entities rather than the merchant using a processer to charge directly. You lose out on any recourse and flirt with potential errors with wire transfers. With PayPal, not only is the 3% fee a bummer, but if you collect points on a travel merchant (bonus points), you lose on that as well. Paying by credit card not only gives me recourse directly with the processor, but also gets me travel insurance benefits for my card, in addition to the one I purchase separately.

Sometimes, language barriers or communication is a hassle. As an example, I had to make a travel insurance claim recently. Not only did my agent help coordinate what I needed from the resort but when push came to shove and I needed a specific thing, he provided it for me on company letterhead and provided the invoices and everything that I needed to also make the transaction for the claim as smooth as possible. I was dealing with someone in a similar/same time zone without language barriers.

In addition, I have also received lower prices than booking direct sometimes. Overall, it's very convenient. I usually only book direct if I am booking accommodations and diving on my own but if it is an all-in package for a resort or a liveaboard, I always like to book through an agent for the above reasons. Though, do be careful, as when I booked a liveaboard with a particular agent, they weren't considered a travel merchant as they also went through PayPal, so do ask.

I love using Bluewater Travel. Tim is my contact. They are based in Southern California and I am in Northern, but they can help anyone anywhere and I have referred him regular business from overseas, including people I know in Singapore. I've booked numerous land based and liveaboards with him, from a single traveler to a full charter liveaboard or half charter on multiple occasions. I have had to do travel insurance claims with his help. Good and bad, I've experienced with him, and he delivered on all counts, including a problem I had with a boat and he helped me negotiate a significant cash refund and options/alternatives.

Like @Damselfish , I do my own research. Sometimes, I will ask advice once I am down to the last 2-3 options, to see if they have personal experience or had customers give them feedback. I have also been able to get complimentary holds (meaning, temporary block from others for booking without a deposit) for half or full charters on a boat while i have been able to get my ducks in a row for my group. Sometimes, booking direct, some ops won't do that for you.

Sometimes, a return guest discount is provided by the op if you sail with them again on a liveaboard. You can ask their policy and whether you must book direct for that discount or if it is valid through an agent. I have seen both. If issues arise, you usually settle with your agent if you book through an agent, though sometimes the op may be willing to help. Your last out is that the agent might be able to offer you some type of credit as a good faith/good will, even though the operator might not be willing to do anything about it, so in a sense, you have an extra level of protection in addition to whatever financial or travel protection you have with your credit card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom