New gas station scam to watch for

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Useless without callling out the gas stop.

It's probably not unique to any one gas station. Take a picture of the display with your cell phone. Them seeing you do that will probably be enough of a deterrent.

I disagree as it could happen anywhere. I would have been suspicious when the third guy tried to block his view of the pump and would have asked him to leave, then started moving towards the pump in a determined matter. Like Gordy said, take photos.

When I have rented, I did so at Isis, and asked the nice lady which gas station was safest and which to avoid. She knows.

The author lives on the mainland, so it's unlikely that you are going to encounter the station he used, regardless.
I have never seen the need to drive on COZ....if I do, I hire a driver so my tequila intake isn’t effected.

There was a recent report from a station on the mainland where their pumps understate the volume by 30%.

Unfortunately there's more than one way to scam a gringo.

They tried to pull this on me last week in Cozumel. I caught them as they were messing with the keypad and had some stern words with them. The attendant was quite offended when I didn't tip him for some reason...

This is the one where they did it at so that others can avoid the station:

95 Avenida Sur Lote050 Lote 01, Fraccion Xiii, 77670 San Miguel de Cozumel, Q.R., Mexico

And so if you knew which gas station, you would only watch for this scam there??? :facepalm:

I think you missed the point.

It's probably not unique to any one gas station. Take a picture of the display with your cell phone. Them seeing you do that will probably be enough of a deterrent.
I like it! It would also be useful evidence to use with PROFECO, especially if you could get the perp's face in the photo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom