Newbie looking for carry-on luggage suggestions to put gear in.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@purbeast

Your reg is going to settle around packed like that. And, if you check a plate expect TSA to open and inspect your gear so you need to pack your regs better.
Why would TSA inspect a bag with a metal plate in it? There is nothing against carrying a metal plate onto a flight is there?

And when you say "settle around" you mean like be loose in there and stuff? That is why I was asking about how other people pack them, if they use a reg bag or some sort of netting to keep them "together".

Why would TSA inspect a bag with a metal plate in it? There is nothing against carrying a metal plate onto a flight is there?

Because it shows up as a big opaque thing on an X-ray or similar scan? My guess is that they want to take a look with their eyes to confirm it isn't some kind of container with contraband inside.

Another concern I have long had about metal backplates--but which as far as I know no one has reported having happened--is that an overly zealous TSA (or foreign equivalent) agent might take the position that a metal plate could be swung as a weapon. The term "cudgel" is sometimes used for that kind of prohibited item. Baseball bats, for example. If a baseball bat is prohibited, what about, say, a dumbbell? It isn't that much of a stretch of the imagination to arrive at a metal plate being put in the same category by an over-zealous security agent.

We got Swissgear rolling duffles about 10 years ago because we didn't want to advertise that we were carrying dive gear. It easily fits in overhead and will hold everything but our wetsuits and fins. I usually also stuff in a bathing suit and a change of clothes in case our carry on doesn't make it. They're a little pricier than we bought them at Target a decade ago ($25.00) but have really held up well.

Swissgear 7850 22 Checklite Wheeled Duffel Bag - Charcoal

@Charred, what size Black Hole do you use and does it fit under the seat? That last trip we made to GC I had my reg and computer in my personal handheld (small soft sided brief case) but wetsuit, bc and mask in my carry on. Sure enough, my carry on got checked at the gate, no big deal, then I found out that anything checked goes through to your final destination, not off loaded with you at your layover. Kinda defeated the purpose of carrying it on with me, which was to make sure that stuff didn’t get delayed.

@RIHappyDiver I have the 60L. I may fit depending how stuffed it is. No one ever makes ppl check backpacks though. That is the advantage of these.

@purbeast If you check a backplate, plan the TSA is opening the bag. Especially if you also have regs with hoses. Think about how suspicious that looks on an xray.

I actually ended up getting another 2 bags to test more out lol. One of them is basically identical to the Quadro one I purchased, the only difference is a slight design difference, and it doesn't have a lock on it, which I wouldn't use anyways. Other than that, it was $80 cheaper.

I also ordered this other one here:

Split-Case Roller Duffel 22in 45L Bag

After testing these two out tonight, I'm definitely going to keep the Quadro hard case that is virtually identical to the other one I got. For some reason I felt like it packed even better, but it's probably because I packed it a bit better and kept going back/forth between the Quadro and the one above in the link.

The one in the link everything fit fine, but I feel like it was SLIGHTLY taller and wider, and since it's soft, it bulged a bit. It felt like things fit tighter too because it's soft and a little snugger.

Here are some pics again.

On the right side, packed are the cam bands, 2 weight pockets, a VDH #35, steel backplate and harness, my snorkel, and my mask in a soft case.

On the left side is my wetsuit, my booties, my regulators, and my weight belt, which I don't anticipate on using, but it added some extra padding and I thought why not pack it.

As for the TSA thing, thanks for the heads up. And based on how it's packed as you can see in the pics, it should be pretty easy to open it and show them what is in there if they want to look at it.

SNgvwVt.jpg

UW0YhAL.jpg

@RIHappyDiver I have the 60L. I may fit depending how stuffed it is. No one ever makes ppl check backpacks though. That is the advantage of these.

@purbeast If you check a backplate, plan the TSA is opening the bag. Especially if you also have regs with hoses. Think about how suspicious that looks on an xray.

Opening it for 30 secs, asks where you are going, maybe says ‘cool, have fun’ whole e change takes around 90 secs to 3 mins in my experience :). Unless they ask me to wait to call another agent over to look at my gear because he is a diver and wants to ask a technical question about my rig...

Also.. I have the pelican 1535 but it’s for my camera gear.. it rocks. I love it.. particularly when baggage agents always say ‘ machine ain’t going to accept that’ and I say ‘it’s laser measured at 62 inches and weighs exactly 49.8 lbs’ and the say ‘ Ain’t gonna go’ and then the machine accepts it... and I do my best ‘sh!t eating grin’ :) say ‘don’t worry, a lot of newbies make that mistake’ and ask if it’s their first day :)

Opening it for 30 secs, asks where you are going, maybe says ‘cool, have fun’ whole e change takes around 90 secs to 3 mins in my experience :). Unless they ask me to wait to call another agent over to look at my gear because he is a diver and wants to ask a technical question about my rig...

I am referring to what happens when you check a plate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom