How Did You Go Solo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A really nice thread. I appreciate everyone’s contributions!

my first solo dive was around dive #60. the dive op only had one instructor available that had to run checkouts for an OW class and no DMs. i was left to go paddle around a shallow reef in about 30 to 50 ft of water on my own while the instructor did skills with the OW class. bought a 30cf tank and started slinging it to get local dives in later on and i either bring the 30 cf or doubles/SM for redundancy these days.

Haha that's great. Is there a separate certification for tech solo diving vs recreational? Who did you get those separate ones through?
I do not think there is solo tech certificate, but I do know some who do solo tech dives. I personally do not do solo tech dives and think a qualified buddy/team with that extra brain is very important for tech diving because of the risks involved. Planning tech dives is much more involved and you usually dive with people you know and the typical "instabuddy" scenario is not really a thing.

A key part of getting solo certified is showing maturity and a safe attitude. AFAIK (for SDI at least) the instructor has the right to refuse to give you the certification even if you pass the technical requirements if he/she thinks that you will be unsafe as a solo diver. There is a reason why the instructor's name appears on your C-Card.

I got old and menopausal and became a grumpy insomniac. Travelled a bit, got dive buddies all over the world, got no one here who appreciates a 2am call asking if they want to go night diving...Pretty simple really.

If you're ever on the West Coast of the US, give me a call. I don't get enough chances to night dive and I'm a weirdo who enjoys it more than day diving.

How/who: I'd shadowed a few classes of students, so solo was not a big step from that.
Skills: Self rescue, standard regulator and mask skills. Solid buoyancy (and trim).
When: I had a little over 100 dives, in NorCal conditions.

Being fairly panic resistant is a key. I think time and disposition can build that.

For redundancy, you might look at tiny doubles. Doing a remove/replace with a slung pony seems like it would become a horrid mess. For pony, slung is often described as preferable for access and visibility. Pony on the back would get it all in one unit, but tiny doubles seems tidier. I'm not sure if that would integrate well into your work tank supply chain. I dive tiny doubles or sidemount.

Renting: For shore dives, I've not found any shop really care that I'm solo. Earlier for renting, now for fills. I don't announce it, but it's fairly obvious. One shop asked if I was by myself, but explaining I was experienced and had redundant systems satisfied their worry. On the beach, I did have one of a trio of double wearing divers do a blessing as I walked past them solo. Some I've chatted with asked if I was solo, pointing to my doubles or double sidemount clarified I was equipped for it.

Since there was only one set of gear, I read The New Science of Skin and SCUBA Diving and started diving. My "instructor" had a few dives on me and was only in the water with me whilst practicing buddy breathing on a double hose. Later on I met some other divers and got to buddy dive, but I've always preferred solo. Eventually I had to get formally certified to get fills when traveling.

Bob

Right now in my work group I have the lowest air consumption rate and highest cold tolerance (we're in Maine, so not as cold as Denmark, but we get to 7-10C in wetsuits) so usually my dives are cut very short by the group. Do you dive night or in caves solo? Or are the lights more signaling/just in case something happens and you're out on or in the water past dark?

Caves? Oh my god no way! All my solo dives are in OWD limits (no stop to 18-20m max). Nights sometimes. No special protocol about that.

Sometimes my GF is on the shore but I am realistic about how much she could really help me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom