Day trip to Tulamben - worth it for USS Liberty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AniMaL Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Questions for folks who know Bali diving:

I have three days in Bali after an R4 LOB and a week on Nusa Ceningan. I will be staying in Sanur. I was thinking I might want to try to dive the Liberty wreck. Would it be easiest to get a land transfer up there or do they run day boats from Sanur? More importantly is it worth the effort? It gets mentioned on a lot to top wrecks lists, but is the actual dive experience good or is it a crowded hot mess?

Liberty was really nice to see. But as Wisnu mentioned it can be quite crowdy.
During our nightdive we would not have needed a light, because there was enough light in the water.

Depending on the operator they offer different trips, usually it is 2 dives during the day. Early morning will as far as I know only be possible if you stay overnight at Tulamben.
What is also possible is: one dive during the day and one night dive.

My position differs. I'd pass on Tulamben any day to dive SD.

I'm not crazy about wrecks in any event, but I found Liberty to be short on the macro that I enjoy, viz wasn't that great when I was there either. And yes, divers everywhere .

I truly need other Liberty lovers to explain the allure to me.

I'm with Chilly here.

I found Liberty underwhelming, mediocre even. We did dive it at times when we had the wreck to ourselves. The swim through are okay, and it's certainly better a bit deeper, but it's not exactly buzzing with life. In context however we did dive it both times on the way back from Komodo and bumpheads were no longer a novelty.

I wouldn't' go out of my way to visit the wreck (I like proper wrecks) I'd much rather be on the other side of the island off Lembongan

The liberi wreck is not only about macro.
I mostly use my 7-14mm lens when diving the liberty wreck.
I just back from St. John Red sea liveaboard trip today. I can say the liberty has more colors and better soft corals for UWP compared with sites we visited including elphinstone.
I use my 60mm macro lens typically during night dive at the liberty slope.
Indeed, the viz is not always great. But from more than 80 dives in the wreck only, mostly good enough to take WA pics.
Tulamben wreck is not the "best" dive site in Indonesia. However, combination of easy to get, easy to dive (again mostly), variety you can find at one site (wreck, corals, fishes and critters, and cost (diving and accommodation) , tukamben my most favourite dive site.
Subjective? Yes.

I personally love the wreck! It is an easy dive, super colourful and has a great variety of life. Yes yes it can get super crowded, but if you are staying in the area you can get away from them to some extent. We are spending a week there in December, our 4th time there. BUT I go to the area for the macro critters, the wreck is a nice addition.

15806595266_3f749db643_c.jpg
_DSC5330 by Angmo Al, on Flickr

BUT after RA the wreck will definitely be a step or five down from what you have just experienced.
Why not spend the time top-side seeing the wonderful sites, sounds, smells and tastes of Bali!

Two of the best dives I ever had: Night dive on Liberty. ( tons of critters incl monster Java Eel and Bumpheads ). Had wreck to ourselves. Guide and I.

Early AM was almost as deserted and also excellent. Bumpheads there. Was getting popular as day progressed.

IMG_2890.JPG

Early morning on the wreck.

I like many others dive Tulamben mostly for macro. The wreck is nice early morning before the crowds, diving it from Sanur will ensure your part of any crowd. If you like macro stay in the area and dive it. If you want to spend a few days enjoying topside Bali is very scenic, with amazing temples and countryside. Ubud and surrounding countryside can provide a few days of very enjoyable sightseeing and eating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom