Do You Like Eagle Rays?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmorescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I do. This is the closest encounter I've ever had with one. I'm working on full galleries and a trip report from my recent trip to South Kona (Big Island Hawai'i) but posting this couldn't wait. My wife and I were snorkeling at Two-Step for a couple hours. It was getting later in the day, so I went back to the car and geared up for a dive (she doesn't dive). I swam back out to her in the bay to let her know I was submerging and she's waving her arms and yelling to get my attention. I realized that nothing was wrong and in fact she had been following this eagle ray from above, watching it feed on the scattered sand patches. I didn't have time to setup my camera properly, but I quickly submerged and started running video. She was also filming from above. I've never had one come this close to me before - probably 1' or less at the closest. Video in 4k, no lights. Quite memorable - I love the Big Island.

P6090043.00_06_07_15.Still001.jpg

I like turtles.

Nice pix you got there, though!

The head and the body belong on completely separate entities Yuk!

and scabby growth infested barnacled turtles Yuk!

Nice close approach at 0:45. I've encountered eagle rays many times over the years but have never gotten quite that close.

Many years ago, I was diving Halfmoon Wall out at the Belizean Atolls.

I had deliberately fallen behind the group when an eagle ray approached and we swam side by side, looking deeply into each other's eyes for a very long time. Eventually I was disturbed by the sound of the dive guide banging on his tank to get my attention.

Later, I was diplomatically asked not to let my bubbles get out of sight of the group. Of course, I agreed but given a similar set of circumstances, I'm not sure that I'd be able to keep my word, in that regard.

Even all these years later and all the wonderful things I've seen since, this event remains one of my fondest memories.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom